Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #11 
Twixies

Oh, I want to ask before I forget, is it good to put a mirror in front of it to see it flare and I guess somewhat give it an exercise to do? I know to not leave the mirror there so don't worry about that.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #12 
DragonFish

It certainly won't hurt to give him a little mirror exercise for a few minutes a day if you like. ;) Go for it.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #13 
Twixies

Haha ok! I was just curious to see how he looks like when he flares XD thank you so much for your help by the way
Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #14 
Twixies

Updates: I tried placing a mirror in front of Kitkat, but he didn't flare, he just turned around and swam away. I think it might be because the water was too cold, making him listless.

I bought him a heater today, and well... I couldn't find one that was 25 watt and I couldn't afford the 50 watt ones, I ended up buying one submersible 50 watt heater that I could afford, but I can't adjust it... The temperature is 76 degrees in the tank, which is a whole lot better than being at 64, I think I will have to stick with this heater, it doesn't snow here anyways, so it's never really cold here, I hope that's ok

[Edit]: I will try the mirror test again tomorrow, maybe the temperature will make him be more active and flare, if not, maybe he's just one of those that don't flare at other fish o.o
Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #15 
DragonFish

It is possible he was a little too cold to be interested in the mirror, the low 60s is pretty cold, though some bettas don't always react to their reflection....sometimes its a personality thing. ;)

Hmm....it sounds like you did pick up one of those Tetra heaters. Thats generally about the highest any of them ever get from what I've heard/experienced.....and you're right, definitely better then 64, but still a tad on the cold side long-term.
Now that you've got something though and there is no huge rush to get your little guy out of freezing water....I'm going to let you in on a little secret of mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/2710315149...E:L:OU:US:3160

It is a $6(free shipping)25watt adjustable submersible heater that works perfect in smaller tanks. I use these in my 2-4 gallon tanks and I absolutely love them, they're fantastic and of course a great price. I don't always recommend them because they take a couple of weeks to get to you and most people need a heater right away that don't have one.....but since you've got something now and you have a little time, I thought I'd link you to one of the best budget heaters ever. Definitely something anyone can afford. ;)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #16 
Twixies

Thank you so much! I will definitely get one ASAP, hopefully it gets here within 30 days, I want to return the heater that I bought by then haha.

I have a question, is Kitkat suppose to swim back and forth really fast? Maybe I'm just not used to seeing him swim a lot since his water was too cold before. Do I have to feed him more since he's swimming more now? I currently feed him twice a day, about 2 pellets each time (+/- 1), and sometimes a FD bloodworm or 2
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #17 
DragonFish

Oh it definitely should get there before 30 days. I've ordered a total of eight of these between two orders, and both times they arrived at least a couple of days before the expected arrive date(which I believe is about two weeks from the day ordered?). Things generally get to my house a little quickly though.....but still, it should come within 30 days. ;)

Haha, no no, thats fine! xD Perfectly normal. Bettas are naturally VERY active little guys for the most part. I assume he does that really quick back and forth motion mostly when he sees you or you get close to the tank? Thats a bit like when your dog sits at your feet when you have a snack, begging for some of whatever you have. I believe a lot of keepers call it the 'Feed Me Dance'. ;)

Actually, that sounds like a perfectly find feeding schedule. While it mainly depends on the size and quality of the pellets you're feeding, over-all about 2-3 pellets twice per day along with the occasional bloodworm treat a couple times a week is a good sort of general schedule to stick to. :)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #18 
Twixies

That's so cute!!! I just thought he was preparing to mate or something since he was creating bubbles, or hanging around the bubbles that's stuck to the side of the tank, but now that you mention it, I do see that he only does that when I'm in front of the tank, when I'm not, he just swims slower again, that's awesome that he remembers my face :D
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #19 
Twixies

Oh, question, should I leave the lights on 24/7? I read somewhere that it should only be on 8-10 hrs a day, but somewhere else said that bettas don't like the dark? Also, does turning on the light too fast shock it?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #20 
DragonFish

Haha, oh yes! They're very intelligent, much more so then people realize. They learn to recognize faces and even voices, I've heard of one person who trained her Sorority of girls to come when they were called!
Also, they can be trained. If there is one specific place you feed your guy all the time, you might notice him hanging around that spot a lot when you approach the tank/lift the lid. You can also teach him to follow your finger, eat from your fingers, and even swim though a little hoop. xD They really are very interesting little fish.

Aww, it does sound like hes made a little bubblenest though! How cute! xD

No, definitely don't leave your lights on 24/7...8-10 hours is a good max, they do need a day-night cycle to offer them a period of 'rest', though really so long as there is some natural light in the room during the day there is no minimum. Bettas come from a very densely planted natural environment heavy in tannins, they're technically 'Dark Water' fish....so they're definitely not BOTHERED by the dark. If anything they can be bothered by lights that are too bright....sometimes that can stress them or cause them to tail-bite, depending on the betta. I've never personally had issues with this though.
If your room is completely pitch black and has been for some time(like, all night)then turning on your fish's light suddenly might shock him a little, so you'd probably want to turn on a lamp or the light in your room first for a bit before turning his light on.....but if there is some natural light coming from a window or something then he should already be awake by the time you turn on his light. ;)