Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #41 
Twixies

It's better now, so no worries (: I guess I just added too much warm water and my hands couldn't feel that it was warm o.o
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #42 
AyalaCookiejar

I use the same thermometer in my tank to make sure the temperature is right. I'm horrible at judging the temperature by just testing it with my hands, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #43 
DragonFish

Thank you Ayala! xD At least my rambling is good for something sometimes! Lol

I judge temperature with my hands, but I've also been doing this for a few years....about 8/10 times I can get the temp at about 80, and about 99% of the time I get it between 78-81-ish. Its definitely something that comes with a lot of practice though....and until you develop that skill, its best to just take out your thermometer and double check to make sure you've got the fresh water within a degree or two of your fishes old water. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #44 
AyalaCookiejar

I just don't trust myself. I usually try to kind of test it with my hand as it's coming out of the faucet, but I still check it with a thermometer.
A time or two I've gotten it spot-on, but I've also gotten it like 5 or more degrees off, lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #45 
DragonFish

Lol, oh I didn't trust myself at first at all!! But, you know, its just one of those things that comes with practice and time in the hobby. xD
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #46 
AyalaCookiejar

You know, I never considered any other pets I've ever owned a "hobby". It's weird. The fish themselves aren't the hobby. They're the family, just like the dog and the two cats (or whatever). But I don't consider changing a little box a hobby, or taking the dog out when its freezing cold a hobby.

But changing and testing the water and adding new decor to a tank and setting up a new tank and being on a forum specifically for betta fish... all that's a hobby, lol.

I am a member of a cat forum, but only because I volunteer with the cats at a local shelter. Otherwise, I'd be bored to death of a cat or dog forum.

Just a random realization I just had there.. thought I'd share.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #47 
Twixies

Thanks for the advice, next time I'll check it with a thermometer instead of my hands haha

On a side note:
I just think my fishie is so adorable!!! If I could just watch it all day, I would.
I guess he's still curious since he's kind of "eating" the bubbles on the fake plant and kind of just checking everything out, like the rocks and the thermometer. I haven't seen him be so curious before, I think it's really cute XD

[Edit]: To add to ayala's comment, I think it's more like a responsiblity to me, but it's fun, so I guess it's in between responsibility and hobby haha

Last edited by Twixies; 12-03-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #48 
AyalaCookiejar

My CT just did a ballerina move a few minutes ago. No joke.
He swam near the surface, looked directly upwards so his body was vertical, and proceeded to do a little twirl while moving upwards toward the surface to get some air.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #49 
Twixies

O: That's so cool!! The closest to a ballerina move my fishie did is probably just turning around hahaha
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #50 
DragonFish

Haha, Oh definitely. The fish itself isn't the hobby of course, but a lot of things we do for the fish make it into more of a hobby. All the research and learning we do, aqua-scaping, NPTs, looking for deals on tanks and decor and supplies, making our own/getting a little creative and out of the box with decor, the impulse buys, the rescues, sometimes breeding....it really turns into a hobby even before you notice!

And then theirs also giving advice and helping others, I think thats what makes a forum like this a little more interesting then a dog or cat forum(I'm a member of a dog forum myself, but I haven't been there in a long time!). With dogs or cats, most people just have a couple and enjoy their company.....its really only more of a hobby if they're involved in rescuing regularly, or volunteering and such like you are Ayala, or involved in some kind of sport with your pets. Also, there aren't nearly as many myths or misconceptions when it comes to dogs and cats, and most people put a lot of thought and effort and research into it before they bring one home......and generally if something is wrong, its best to head off to the vet rather then rely on a few people on the internet.
And with fish.....its a little bit of the opposite really. xD

Ugh, enough of my rambling. xP I'll hush now.

On the subject of funny fishy movements......one of my boys has a very unique way of swimming. xD He often twists around and twirls as well, swimming completely upside down. Hes a strange little thing.....