Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #61 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, yes. xD Both of my bettas flared quite a bit when I first got them. They don't do it as much anymore unless I remove the cardboard in between their tanks for a few minutes.
And I'm assuming you're talking about his gills flaring, haha.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #62 
LeoTheLakerBetta

I had just fed my betta and he flared at my finger when I waved it around his face. I though he was choking LOL
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #63 
Twixies

I think Kitkat might be bloated, his sides kind of bulge out and he swam sideways for a little bit, what should I do? Should I not feed him for a day? Does the pea thing work?

Also, I'm not sure if he was excited to see me when I came home or he was trying to tell me something (trying to tell me that he's bloated maybe?) When I came home, he flared at me and swam around really fast, back and forth, as if he was trying to get my attention, is that normal?
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #64 
DragonFish

By his sides, what do you mean exactly? Like his actual belly or more back towards his tail?
On the body back towards the tail, there is a slight natural bulge(in some fish it is a little more prominent then others)that is(or should be)even on both sides of the body, and nothing to worry about.
If you mean more like his actual belly(up color to his gills/ventral fins)then a very slightly rounded belly, especially after feeding, is often fairly normal and nothing to be concerned about....but if he looks like he may be tilting to the side uncontrollably when he stops swimming or seems to float on his side towards the top and is struggling to right himself/swim downwards then that is a swim bladder issue. Its very common, and most of the time easily treatable.

If it looks like it may be swimbladder, fast him for a day or two until you see his poo and/or it appears like he bloating has gone down and he is swimming normally again. Afterwards, you may need to cut down on his food.....

I know you've probably said this somewhere in the thread, but what brand do you feed, how often, and how much?

Don't feed him a pea. Bettas are carnivorous, they don't digest plant matter well so the pea treatment can cause more harm to their digestive system. Though it may not be needed, if you feel like it, a Betta-safe substitute for peas is frozen(NOT freeze-dried!)Daphnia. Daphnia can also be fed regularly like other frozen foods as treats a couple times week. ;)

Haha, that behavior sounds very normal though. Sounds like the 'feed me' dance. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #65 
Twixies

I notice a slight bulge towards his tail, now that you mention it, but no, I was talking about his belly. He was only swimming sideways for like 1 second after eating a pellet, I currently feed him Aqueon betta food, I think it might be because this morning I fed him 3 pellets instead of 2 because I was in a hurry to school and couldn't separate the pellets :/ He seems to be swimming fine right now though
Can he get constipated?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #66 
DragonFish

Okay, just thought I'd make sure. I often see the question of 'what is this bulge near my bettas tail?!'....so I figured It might be good to cover all bases. xD

Did it look like he was more struggling while swimming sideways, like he tilted over and had difficulty getting right again, or was it more just he might have made a weird turn and just swam a funky way? Was it just that one time for that one second or...?

Aqueon is an alright brand.....not the best, but OK. I'm personally not a fan of it because I think it may have caused/contributed to some SBD problems in a couple of my fish a while back, but others who I've known who have fed Aqueon do alright with it. It does have a few more fillers though.
If you can get your hands on it, see if you can pick up some New Life Spectrum Betta Formula or Omega One Betta Buffet. They're a little better quality, more meats and less difficult to digest fillers. Aqueon pellets are pretty small, if your guy is having trouble even with just one random extra third pellet then it may be time to switch brands to something higher quality.

Yes, they can get constipated. Treatment depends on the severity of course, but often most cases can be treated with a couple days of fasting and a little frozen Daphnia. ;)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #67 
Twixies

He was kinda of struggling to be rightsideup again, but it was just that one time.

What's SBD?

I looked up New Life Spectrum brand on the petco website and I can't find one for betta formula, and some of the reviews for Omega One Betta Buffet make it seem bad
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #68 
DragonFish

Hmm...If hes doing alright now, just be careful with the pellets as much as you can. I know it can be a little hard sometimes to measure those tiny little things out, especially if you're in a hurry though.

SBD=Swim Bladder Disorder.

I believe the NLS small fish formula you can also fed if you can't find the betta formula(if you can, you'll probably have to head into a Petco for the Betta formula), theres not too much of a difference in the ingredients.
Judging by ingredients and quality, Omega One is technically second to NLS.....and many members feed it because its a little easier to get and doesn't cost quite as much as NLS and they don't have any problems with it, but I too have read some not too great over-all reviews of Omega One foods(though this was mostly tropical flakes), and when I offered the Betta buffet to my fish every single one of them hated it.

So, based on my own personal experience and such, I would recommend NLS over Omega One for sure, but many people do feed it without any problems at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #69 
Twixies

I will look for those brands next time I visit Petco, thank you for the suggestion (:
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #70 
DragonFish

Sure thing. ;) Best of luck!