Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #1 
CTBettaLover

Question Non aggressive male blue crowntain & female 1.5 inch dalmation molly?

Hello! After researching a little more I have realized that my pet store may have misinformed me about keeping a dalmation molly. I have since learned that mollies do best in a minimum of 20g. However she is pretty small. Anyone know how big dalmations get??
I have her and 3 bronze cories in a 10g tank that used to be my male blue crowntail's personal tank. He has been in a hospital tank for some time now. He is starting to recover and I wanted to eventually reintroduce him into the 10g. It is heated unlike his hospital tank and it is starting to get cold so his ht is getting around 72F. No bueno!
Im afraid that the molly is going to pick on my betta. I know that it is usually the other way around but my betta is quite small and not overly aggressive. I know this because he has interacted through the glass with my boyfriend's much larger male blue crowntail who is always pissed at something. Whether it be my fish when they get some viewing time, or his own reflection no matter what backdrop or block from light we try. My fish will puff up but eventually back off. Where as my boyfriends large crowntail will sit there pushing his nose into the glass back and forth flaring like crazy for a while. Once we seperate them he will even pace back and forth in that spot looking for my betta. Mine may only back off because he is much smaller than the other but he rarely flares at his own reflection. He doesn't seem to have much of an interest in fighting, he'd rather be wiggling at me. :)

Anyway, at feeding time when I first put the molly and cories together, I noticed my molly chase the smallest of the cories away from an algae wafer before but never nipped at him. I haven't seen much aggression from her since. Im guessing she's a girl bc she doesn't have a tube like fin on her belly. She has two rounded fins. Am I correct in this assumption?

Anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Happy fish keeping! <3

Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Mollies http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Corydoras_aeneus
I keep the albinos. I vote no tank mates should be fast moving and not have long fins.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #3 
Gwenn32

Dalmation mollies grow to be about 6 1/2 inches. Based on what you said about your dalmation, I think he might be agressive towards your betta. That's news your probably wouldn't like to hear. On the other hand, you said you also have cories. Are you planning to put your crowntail, the cories, and dalmations together? If that's the case, I would think it's ok. Hopefully, your molly would just think of your betta as just another fish and not a threat. If they don't get along, I would suggest maybe putting more fish in the tank. Tetras or other community fish would be fine. This way, none of the fish would be a target for your molly. Hope this helps!
Gwenn32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mollies are too agressive, too colorful, prefer brackish water, and need bigger tanks. Albino cories need bigger tanks because they are bronze cories and need bigger tanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #5 
CTBettaLover

Oh wow! 6 inches! I might have to take her back even though she's my little girl. <3 :( I do have 3 bronze cories in the 10g tank as well and I havent seen her pick on any of them since the first day at feeding time. She hangs out at the bottom and mid with them quite a bit but still no bullying. So maybe it would be alright? Or is she going to grow too much for my tank anyways?

ChocolateBetta- I love your avatar! I wish more people understood about bettas.
CTBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #6 
CTBettaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Mollies are too agressive, too colorful, prefer brackish water, and need bigger tanks. Albino cories need bigger tanks because they are bronze cories and need bigger tanks.
My dalmation molly is only black and white, no bright colors. Is that still a no go? I only have 3 cories in my 10g so that should be okay, right?

Also thanks for your help everyone!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The only Cories that can go in a 10 gallon are dwarf and pygmy Mollies need bigger tanks and prefer brackish to saltwater and can be pretty vicous.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Mollies do not get around 6 1/2 inches. Only the wild ones can supposedly get around 5 or 6 inches. As far as big domesticated ones go, you're looking at a max of 4 inches or so. I have heard that dalmation mollies can be more aggresive although it could be a myth. The dalmation mollies I have had in the past started out as aggressive towards my creamcicle lyretail mollies (yellow ones) but soon became more peaceful. I would stay away from the mollies.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plus they need 15 gallon tanks and so do the cories.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...58&pcatid=1058 http://fish-care777.blogspot.com/201...olly-care.html http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1911&aid=2618 http://www.ehow.com/how_12104381_car...n-mollies.html http://animal.discovery.com/guides/f...dalmation.html

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 11-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #10 
CTBettaLover

So a couple days ago I introduced my little Stanley into the 10g tank with the molly and cories and watched them closely for any signs of aggression. Both the molly and betta seem to have no interest in eachother whatsoever. So thats good! Stanley was really interested in one of my ghost shrimp the first time he saw them. He followed it around the entire tank but never bit at it. The next day I noticed the biggest ghost shrimp chasing stanley! He kept trying to grab his tail but eventually lil Stan had enough of that and scared the shrimp off. They havent really messed with eachother since then. Everything seems to be going well and I plan on doing a large water change tomorrow with the gravel siphon. That dang molly puts out as much ammonia as a goldfish!

Tags
aggression, compatibility, crowntail betta, dalmation molly, fin nipping