Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 
twolovers101

Tank mates? (just curious)

So what I've got set up is a 5.5 npt, without a filter with my male hmpk, Shosta and 2 ghosties.
Could I possibly add another ghostie, and maybe a snail or some other small-ish bottom feeder? Shosta is completely non-aggressive towards the shrimps, and the only "aggression" issue he has is he attacks ANYTHING that is the color black

I was thinking he may get along with a mystery snail... but I kinda hold out hopes for something a tad bit more entertaining... xD if not that's cool, I know my options are very limited with a 5.5
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

You could probably add 3-5 more shrimp really. They have an incredibly low bioload, and since your tank is planted you are in an excellent position anyways.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 
twolovers101

Yeah, I've wanted more shrimps, so I may just do that, besides, the little buggers are fun to watch xD
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

If you went with something like cherry shrimp you could probably have like 50, though if you betta decided they were a snack that would be more expensive... lol. It depends on how planted your tank is, but yeah, as long as your shrimp and betta get along you could probably put more shrimp in than you think.

You could also get shrimp and a snail, but I am of the understanding that snails are pretty big in the bioload category, particularly apples, the only ones the big chain stores seem to sell.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #5 
twolovers101

Yeah, he ignores the shrimpies completely lol, he's more interested in the black suction cup holding the thermometer on the tank wall xD

I would love to try out RCS but I can't get them anywhere locally, and I don't really want to order them offline in the winter :/
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #6 
Myates

A single snail will be fine in there, the plants will help take care of it's bioload.. a few more shrimp would be good.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote