Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
auriti24

HELP ! Dying Beta ? Please reply ASAP

My boyfriend purchased my beta October 17 2012 for my birthday. He was perfect and I loved him. His name is Chunk. But in the middle of November and to this day he seems REALLY sick. And I have no idea what to do. He has a filter and heater. I have changed the water once every week.
SYMPTOMS:
Quit eating
Pale
Looks like he has a cold sore on his bottom lip
Little balls on the end of his fins
He stayed at the bottom for awhile now he floats around the top and is never active.
He seemed bloated so I let him fast , and now try to feed him once a day but he doesn't eat it.
I feel so so horrible and will do anything to help him, I just need to know what! Please help.
auriti24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So sorry your fish is sick...could you please fill this out so we can help you better.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 
auriti24

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I started with twice a day then thought maybe he was suffering from being over feed so I started once a day , now he doesn't eat

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? One a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't tested it

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has gotten a pale belly, a cold sore like bump on his bottom lip, little balls on the ends of his fins, bloating
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't swim. He floats along the top and just looks dead all the time. Randomly I will see him swim like normal for about 5 mins then go back to floating. He won't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? This his is first.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for a little more than a month. Idk how long he was at the pet store
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 
sainthogan

What do you mean by little balls? Are they white and fuzzy, or does it look like his tail got clumped up? White fuzzy things could mean he has a fungus. Just clumped up tail means his fins are clamped due to an illness/parasite/etc. of some sort.
Also, take a flashlight and look for any gold or rust colored "dust" anywhere on his body, especially around his gills. If you see any, he's got velvet.
Also, by no additives, does that mean you aren't adding water conditioner? If so, that could be your problem, the chlorine in your tap water will kill him eventually, so you need to add some sort of water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #5 
Eggbert

A filter in a 1 gallon.. What kind of filter? Is there a current?
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #6 
JessSH

I have 7 rescue fish every single one had very high ammonia levels when I got them & acted like that or worse. I would bet that's what's going on. The ammonia level needs to be at 0 at all times because higher ammonia levels damages your fish's organs & slowly kills them. It's poison. Smaller bowls get a higher ammonia level much quicker, so you need to change the water much more frequently or get a bigger tank. Here's OLF's recommendations for water changes for a 1 gal.
*1-4gal without a filter or live plants- Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%
*1-4gal with a filter- Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method. Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month
Personally, I think a bigger tank would be the way to go, especially since you already have a filter. I have heard it's very difficult to cycle any tank under 5 gal, although I can't speak to that personally. PetCo has good cheap tanks & my PetCo is running holiday specials too. Another bonus is once your tank is cycled you no longer need to do 100% water changes, so it’s easier to take care of. What type of filter do you have in your tank & why? You generally don't need a filter for bettas unless you want to cycle and/or if you have a couple goofball bettas who love to play in the current (that would be my brats lol). He may be stressed from the current as well. Since bettas have those big beautiful tails they have a harder time swimming, plus they need to be able to reach the surface since they are air breathers.
Also, water conditioner is a must! You can buy most of them pretty cheap & they’ll take out the harmful stuff out of the water. If you’re dealing with an ammonia problem, which I think you are, SeaChem Prime is the best water conditioner out there. You use only 2 drops per gal & it’s so effective I consider it a medication of sort when I’m treating my new guys. How many pellets do you feed Chunk (love the name!) each time? Also, could you take pictures of the balls & the sore on his lip or describe it for us? I’m guessing that balls might be balled up fins which can happen when ammonia levels get higher, I’m actually dealing with that right now with one of my guys. I’m clueless on the lip though.

Last edited by JessSH; 11-28-2012 at 03:24 AM.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #7 
JessSH

I just re-read the pale belly & bloating part. Is he pineconing at all? It could be dropsy if he has raised scales, although after being sick for a couple weeks he would probably be way worse off than he is, so it may not be that. Artie has the early stages of it now & is just beginning to pinecone but you can't tell unless you look at him from behind, from tail to head. It's VERY important to treat immediately if he has it. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Can you get a picture?
Also you said you didn't add anything to the water. Does this mean no water conditioner? If so, you really need it. The stuff in tap water can be deadly. The idiots at petco told me just let it sit out for 24 hours bbut that only takes care of the chlorine. There are also heavy metals and god knows what else. I had 5 bettas and every one of them died overnight all from what I think was heavy metal poisioning >.<

I wontbe able to tell without a picture but do the balls look like balls of cotton? or does the end of the fins clump up in a ball? or none of the above?

the cold sore thing - columnaris will leave leasons on the body as it eats away the scales. it is also known as cotton mouth disease because it can form some fuzzies on the mouth/lip area. However, it does not have to start with the mouth. Every case i have dealt with - it started with disintigrating fins and then the fuzzies

I would start with a water change ASAP and add in conditioner if you are not using it. Any kind will do, it does not have to be betta specific. Stress coat and prime are the most popular but there are many others.

Is the filter an undergravel one with the airpump? If so, I had that too with one of my 1 gallons but decided not to use it as it took up too much space. I kept the air pump but ditched everything else. If it is the one with the airpump and you do decide to upgrade to something a bit bigger, you can use the airpump for a small sponge filter. They are not the most attractive of things to have but unlike other filters, they do not produce strong currents and they are supposed to be the best filter for biological filtration.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-28-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #9 
auriti24

Thanks for everything ! I think he needs water conditioner. The balls are like clumps not cotton , like Tikibird said I was just told to leave the water for 24 hours and that would take care of it. You say he needs room at the top? My plant is tall should I cut it down so there is more room ?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes trim it down he needs room at the top to breath and make sure to do more changes and use water conditioner . Good luck I sure hope he will be okay keep up updated or ask more questions if you need too.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote