Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #91 
Sena Hansler

Well, I find the belly size can be genetic... Bred a small tummied betta, and got small tummied fry. This time it was opposite!! I prefer bigger tummied ones...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #92 
Syriiven

I think I know the difference. Demi's a wild-type mixed female, but ehr tummy's definitely bigger than the boys at any time. Seiya and Kalec don't get big tummies at all, but Phy did occassionally.

Do you think a bigger, more solid body is a healthier betta? Or maybe just a stronger one?

I sometimes get worried looking at Seiya (cause he's light colors and the effect is more severe) but he looks so thin even though I know he eats his two meals a day (omega one pellets with a few meals subbed for frozen blood worms).
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #93 
Sena Hansler

Personally I like thicker bodies... Seems to have more substance. Janey has a thicker body VS Peaches... Her babies also have thicker bodies (about 80%) which I find nice.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #94 
Syriiven

Kalec and Seiya could also be young I think, but it's hard to tell when the LFS sells you the fish and they themselves don't really know. They're body-length's are about 1.5 inches, so obviously safe to travel, but beyond 3 months how do you tell a bettas age, right? For a while I figured going by the pelvic fins on males was a safe bet, but nothing's really accurate unless you have it from a baby or know the breeder. Kind of frustrating.

Another thing that makes me think Seiya and Kalec are young is their finnage. I bought Seiya labelled as a halfmoon, but he never flared far enough so I figured he was mis-labelled and was actually a Super Delta. But then I got a great shot of him flaring a full 180, so now I'm wondering if he's simply young and his fins are still filling in. Same with Kalec, I think he has nice finnage, but it doesnt look...complete? Not sure about all CT's, but his fins/rays end rounded.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #95 
Sena Hansler

Body size is the main age telltale I find... Then the fins fill in like Big Red's did.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #96 
Syriiven

Lol, my reservations will be the only bettas I know the exact age of. But that's okay. So far my three are happy so I think they'll be fine for a long while ^^
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #97 
Sena Hansler

All the more reason I like to give people the exact hatch date ^_^
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #98 
Syriiven

I am sooo excited! I think I am going to want to do the sorority =D This is gonna be so much fun!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #99 
Sena Hansler

Haha good to know ^_^ There are some meanie females I have but they would just need to establish who is alpha anyways xD
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #100 
Syriiven

I think that'd be the worst part, watching them establish the order >.<