Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #1 
JessSH

Exclamation HELP!! New rescue is showing signs of dropsy!!!

Artemis, my new rescue fish, has the very beginning stages of dropsy. He’s still swimming around, but has a bloated whitish gray belly & his scales are just barely starting to be raised. I can only see the raised scales if I look at him from behind. His fins are not clamped. He was fine last night, but I was sick again so I’ve been in bed til just now, so I don’t know exactly when it started. Thank God I got a brand new heater yesterday so I am able to adjust the temp!!! I’m going to move the temp to 84 & treat with 2 tsp/gal of Epsom Salt. The only medication I have on hand is Kanaplex & I’ve been researching using that & supposedly it’s supposed to be effective but he's still recovering from when I got him so I'm concerned it will be too strong for him. Poor guy has been through hell & back & I refuse to lose him now!!! PLS GIVE MY ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU CAN THINK OF!!! I’m not safe to drive right now & all that’s open 24 hrs is a grocery store anyways (I live in a really rural area), so I’m limited as to what I can do, but pls tell me anything you think of!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal. Filled w/approx. 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms at first because it was all he would eat & he was very sick. Now Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? x2 w/2 pellets. Stopped bloodworms on 11/18

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 & 100 alternating days
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Bloated, has 1 stress stripe & is in the VERY beginning stages of pineconing. I can only see it if I look at his body from behind. No clamped fins or bulging eyes, but he has a gray belly.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Tried to feed him & he wouldn’t eat, that’s when I looked closer & realized he was sick.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Right now, slept for about 20 hrs because I am sick was fine last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Going to right now with 2 tsp. of Epsom salt per gal. Will be buying meds tomorrow. Raising temp to 84.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
YES! Rescued 11/13 & he was nearly dead. I couldn’t move bottom of body & had to drag himself around. But he is actually swimming now & was doing so much better.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Juvenile, not sure of age.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I have noticed alot of my bettas naturally have a paler colored belly then the rest of their body.

Epsom salt is supposed to be good because it will draw the fluid out of the body but I'm not sure what meds to use.

I think this is the same as kannaplex?
Quote:
Kanacyn
Active ingredients: 150 mg capsules, Kanamycin Sulfate, and NaCl
Diseases: full spectrum skin absorbing antibiotic, treats hemorrhage, red body patches, rotting fins and tail rot, protruding or loss of scales, furunculosis, bacterial infections, fungal infections, internal infections.
Contraindications:
This affects the bacterial cell membrane which is responsible for bringing nutrients into the cell and taking waste out of the cell. The antibiotics disrupt this process. It is toxic when overdosed.

These antibiotics prevent protein synthesis and effect the cells ability to reproduce.

Not to be used in fish with dropsy assuming the cause is associated to kidney malfunction. More effective with high pH and hardness levels, the opposite of tetracycline.
Your best bet is the PM sakura8 or oldfishlady. They could tell you what meds to use. The only pineconning fish I had, also had columnaris and since I lacked access to any meds they were pretty much doomed to die anyways Even if I ordered online they would of arrived too late >.<
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #3 
JessSH

Nope. Luckily that is a different brand than what I use. I will PM one of them. Thanks!
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote