Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 
Phobik

Question Is he worth breeding?

Hello everyone! I just recieved my first HM from a friend. I was wondering if anybody with HM experience could tell me if he is worth breeding?
I dont want any bad babies in our world! As we already have plenty... his fins do match really nicely though... what do you think guys? im not sure on his coloring neither but it color is the same thurout his body except on his head its somewhat darker
Attached Images

Phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 
Setsuna

i say just do it. why is he not worth it? the question is do you like him?
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 
rubinthebetta

I would do it, but do you have the knowledge about breeding? From what I've heard, the fries are lots of work. And there can be around 100 of 'em.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #4 
Phobik

I do love the color, just im not sure what color of female to match him with! I have done a lot of research on breeding, this will be my first try... i already have all the tanks just not the foods for the frys and filters and other stuff. I will need to get beany baby jars for the males also... The babies I would probably sell online/ I know a local pet store who i could sell some of the less quality babies too. He said we would love some :)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 
dszoo

I say go for it too. You're never going learn breeding by reading sure read up on what supplies you need and the jist of breeding. But all in all a person is not going to learn unless they actually put a female and a male together. Also if you had to you could cull the whole spawn.
dszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 
Dragonlady

He appears to be a very pretty turquoise. I love that color! It is difficult to evaluate him when he is not flaring, but he appears to be a delta in the photo. His topline is good with no bumps. I can't see his scaling in the photo, but check to make sure that they are even with no irregularities. His upper caudal edge appears slightly longer than the lower edge, and his ventrals appear to be slightly bent or curled. If you breed him, choose a female that does not share his faults. She should have nice long even symmetrical outer rays, perfectly straight ventral fins, and a preferably a full 180 degree caudal spread if your goal is to produce Halfmoon offspring. I suggest either a turquoise, steel blue, or royal blue Halfmoon female. I hope this helps.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #7 
Phobik

Wow thats exactly what i was looking for! Thanks for your suggestion. He is a very mellow betta... he wouldnt flare for me :/ now, im new with betta breeding and evaluating bettas Im not quite sure what you mean by his scaling is irregular or not. Do you mean by if his scales are going all the same direction and if they are all the same size? and i love the choices of the females you chose ive been looking for hours on ebay and aquabid for one, now i can narrow it down! haha
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
He appears to be a very pretty turquoise. I love that color!....
.... if your goal is to produce Halfmoon offspring. I suggest either a turquoise, steel blue, or royal blue Halfmoon female. I hope this helps.
I love that color, too... I can't comment on his "conformation," as I'm not a breeder. But, per the color genetics info that I've read, if you match him with:

a) Turquoise female: offspring will be 100% turquoise.

b) Royal blue female: offspring will be 50% turquoise, 50% royal blue

c) Steel blue female: off spring will be 100% royal blue.

That said, I don't guarantee these results! It's just based on what I read here: http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/genetics5.htm

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 11-30-2012 at 01:29 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #9 
hannah16

If you want to; go for it. He's very pretty.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote