labloverl

open sore near gills?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 - divided
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? another male betta across the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta safe conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

haven't tested yet. today is water change day

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? looks to have an open sore near the gill on both sides.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I only took him out and floated him in a cup last night
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure but I've had him for 3-4 months

I really don't know how to describe this, but he's just got this white, flakey, circle near his gills (both sides) and it looks like an open sore.

Since I put him in the cup, I've noticed that it looks like he is shedding his slime coat on the ends of his fins.

Last edited by labloverl; 11-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #2 
sainthogan

It could be a fungus, or a parasite. I'm not very familiar with treating fungus though. I know there's a medication you can get for it. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will help you soon.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #3 
labloverl

Thanks, I also noticed that he has a little gray patch right behind his dorsal fin on his right side.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #4 
labloverl

bump
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

How is your betta? If it just a slime coat then it will protect him from infections since i can see that he is tail bitter. But don't confused it with fungus though. Especially on his gills. If it will be gill flukes he will develop symptoms like : heavy breathing looks like gasping for air, lethargic. But i think you can't see flukes with naked eye though. Also watch your other betta if it divided tank. If it something serious it contagious
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #6 
labloverl

He actually passed away today. :( he acted fine the past few days and was eating last night. No symptoms other than the gray patch right behind his dorsal. Even the sore looked better. He didn't act sick at all, and the other fish seems fine as well.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #7 
ANHEL123

Sorry for your loss:( I would do extra water change and add stress coat API. Seems like a lot of people recommending it on this forum and i read a lot of posts about stress coat. I think it good idea. It protect their slime coat and also prevent infections.
I hope your other fish will not have any symptoms. I guess just monitor her for 5-6 days and if she develop any symptoms you know something is definitely wrong. I hope it not parasites,then it contagious. Just have aquarium salt on hands in case you need to use it. If he died it was something serious, i guess.
Stress coat actually also prevent from parasites because if you add extra fish will produce extra slime coat and help to prevent against parasites. I am not cycling my tanks but if you can do more water changes with vacuum + stress coat i think it will help. Filter rinse`, not sure if you can tryouts the filter completely. And siphon that you use for vacuuming make sure rinse with hot water and completely dry out, also all changing equipment -rinse hot water completely dry out which will kill any parasites.
You can even qt your betta this way you can do water changes in the main tank and any parasites if it there will die without host. Meanwhile if you qt the betta and do daily water changes + stress coat it can prevent him against parasites. Always also help temperature over 84* that will help parasites to fall off faster.

I think what he had is not fungus because fungus would spread fast and not get better like you said the gray patch did. Fungus white fluffy,cottony white patches. So it a chance that it was parasites. So be careful do not cross -contaminate equipment between your other fish.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote