Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 
unitednations161

Help bettas fin trouble!

My bettas fins look really odd in places. The front fins look like they are gone and all that is left is the bare bones. And the back looks like its curled up or something like that. any ideas?!!! Included is a pic

The fish acts fine, and still is Flaring at the walls and swimming around and eating. I just feel so bad for him. Hes in a 10 gallon (soon to be 20) tank fully cycled and weekly water changes.

unitednations161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
bryanacute

R his fins rotting off? Have u noticed pieces that are white and brown that are on him or laying at the bottom of the tank? If so it's likely fin rot
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #3 
jriley

Unless you've actually seen parts of the front fins fall off or something, I think he's fine. When I got my fish (a rescue) he was in such bad shape he hardly had the front fins at all. Then the long white "boney" looking stuff started growing--and then more finnage. He kept doing that until ALL his front fins came back. Is your fish still young (mine is an old guy now)--he may still be growing. Hope this helps!
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #4 
jriley

Also--if he is a veiltail, their top fin often kind of folds over. If he's eating well, moving well, and his color is good, then just make sure his tank stays super clean and I think he'll be fine. IMO, that is.
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 
unitednations161

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanacute View Post
R his fins rotting off? Have u noticed pieces that are white and brown that are on him or laying at the bottom of the tank? If so it's likely fin rot
i didnt really look when i cleaned the tank, but that spot on his fins that looks melted cant be normal. right between that gap, it looks like melted plastic. unless he slept on the heater or something but idk. he does act fine.
unitednations161 is offline   Reply With Quote