Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Is it okay?

I have a limit of 3 tanks in my house, and I can only have up to 5 gallons in each tank.

Due to the arrival of a new plakat betta (my uncle came from Malaysia with one) my whole plans have crashed down on me. (I think I talk about bettas too much, people are starting to think that it's the cheapest and best present to get me on xmas).

I have been saving up to upgrade Cheshire's (Veiltail) 1,5 bowl into the 4g tank that eros and kiyohime (both halfmoons) have to themselves.

However, due to the tank limit, I've been thinking if I could divide the tank into 2 equal parts of 2 gallons each.

My new plakat, Ramses has a 1 gallon that my uncle gave me for him, and cheshire has a 1,5g, so in a way being upgraded to 2g even if it isn't much, is not bad is it?

I have a divider I have been working on, it's going to have holes and java moss in it so they will not see each other but still share the same water.

What do you think?

I'm trying to negotiate the tank terms with my parents but it's not going well... so divided tank with proper water changes is the only thing I can think of.

Also I would like to know what are the appropiate water changes for a 4g, with divided bettas, without a filter. :) And if I should use sand substrate or gravel which is easier to clean for 100% changes.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #2 
emeraldmaster

i think that it would work...
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 
Fisherman J

Personally I would go with sand, you can juss syphon off the debris with airline tubing from the top of the sand without disturbing the tank to much.
Fisherman J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 
Myates

You would still need to mix the sand now and again as deadly gases can build up in it and release, killing the fish..

I would say divide it.. I divide 6gs into 3 compartments, giving each 2gs and they have plenty of room and are just fine in there.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #5 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You would still need to mix the sand now and again as deadly gases can build up in it and release, killing the fish..

I would say divide it.. I divide 6gs into 3 compartments, giving each 2gs and they have plenty of room and are just fine in there.
+ 1.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Assassin snails mix sand.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Assassin snails mix sand.
do they really? And how often does one mix sand, I do it every water changes a little.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They move over sand and burrow. From what I have seen they die without sand.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote