Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #721 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
Wasn't his spawn sposed to be the one that succeeded?
It looked good until a bacteria wiped eggs out. Its happened a couple times now with my spawns so Im sterilizing not just cleaning everything including tools from now on. Also adding small amounts of aq salt which for me is hard because I generally believe its not good for betta fish. For the short term use like spawning its ok from what I hear.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #722 
Syriiven

I usually gow ith AQ salt and 86F for bad stuff, but when Toothless got finrot I decided to just finally replace his tank altogether and do lots of clean water. For some reason using AQ salt on a 3.5 month old fish seemed an awful lot like 'burning his baby lungs' =S You know, like giving a kid cigarettes or something -facepalm-

A bit of AQ salt wont hurt. Sorry your having trouble with spawns dying though D=
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #723 
logisticsguy

Yes it was tested and a common bacteria that easily defeated with a small dose of salt according to my guru fish nerd friend. At least it wasnt even as bad as ich as it doesnt really bother betta fish much but eggs are a preferred food source and it can grow quickly. learning new things every day.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #724 
Syriiven

Ah~ I see. I'm not trying to be cold, just very interested. Fascinated even. Sooo much we learn allt he time with these adorable little guys!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #725 
logisticsguy

Oh yeah we all need to learn. You should see me pepper my fish nerd friend with questions when I see him. He has had an aquarium store for 20 years now and just blows my mind. I thought I knew quite a bit until started talking to people like him, realized I have a long way to go and much to learn. He should teach a class in aquarium 101 and admits to learning more every day himself.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #726 
Syriiven

But that's good! Life would be boring if we didn't continue to learn things, I think. KNowledge is a wonderful thing.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #727 
Skyewillow

Locisticsguy, Piebald or Skewbald? lol Oh! Or theres "Magpie"!!

just throwing some ideas out there.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #728 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
How was phantom menace's spawn? Did they succumb to the bacteria? And (sorry to nag) do you have/know where I could find a glass chimney? Is that what you use to seperate the male and female?

Ive added AQ salt but I think its too late for the eggs. No signs of fry. I will wait one more day before a complete tear down and clean rebuild. Also going to try the style Myates used, i like the way she did that spawn, going to experiment with it. Menace will be off for a week while I recondition a girl and we will try again then. I use glass jars or float clear plastic cups for the girls in the tank and just slowly tip it to release the girl when the time comes or leave the water high in the jar and maybe she jumps out when ready. Those glass chimneys have been hard for me to find, maybe get one online easier.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #729 
royal

I found a tall vase at dollarama for $2
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #730 
logisticsguy

One important thing to remember is that hard water will cause the shells of the eggs to harden, and in very hard water the shells can become too hard and make hatching difficult or impossible. If the water is too soft, the eggs may instead collapse. The water in my area is generally ROCK hard in gh and kh. PH is also at the top end at 7.8 to 8.0. The fish adjust to these numbers well enough but hatching can be affected greatly. You can mess with the water here to lower with rain or bottle water, peat mix but you have to be careful as sudden changes can be fatal. For now Im making ial tea and pre adjusting some water in a tub making a more perfect water just for a spawn.