Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #11 
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPirate View Post
I have signed that before. I can't even go near their Betta section :( that is when/if I shop their at all
I actually have a CT from there now, and all he has is bloat. I guess it varies. I went to the Walmart today and the fish looked much better.. but where are the fish from last week? :I
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #12 
cbernhard11

I really wish they would do that at my local petsmart store :( they have two different setups in the store. One is were all the cups are very close next to each other (some dead, some stressed, some flaring) and the other is along the wall they have community tanks where the fish are separated by plastic bars. So its all the same water and some of the small females are always getting into each others tanks and on a couple occasions basically killing each other. Also with it being all the same water you see some that just look sick so there goes that whole row they might get a fungus or disease too :( Its probably not entirely that they don't care, but the store also gets so busy they don't even notice some of these things.
cbernhard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #13 
BettaPirate

wow, I have never seen Bettas in a community tank at a pet store, that's different. The petsmart I stopped at only had about 7 and they said they never stock more than 20 at a time to make sure that the ones they do have are purchased first. They all looked REALLY small, like they were not quite adult age, either that or their growth was stunted from the small cups.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #14 
RoMay

One thing I have noticed is it doesn't depend on the name of the petstore but rather the people who work there. You can have the best or worst known company in business but it's up the the employees to take care of the animals there.

My itty bitty betta was from Petco. While others where healthy looking she was a floater. They didn't even give me a discount on a mostly dead fish.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #15 
Butterfly

it definitely has everything to do with the people that work there. If they care enough about the animals(as one working at an ANIMAL STORE should), they will go above and beyond as a good worker and CARETAKER in order to give the animals the best care that they possibly can within means.

It's not like the petco by my place is busy AT ALL. yet the people still can't manage to change the --- water >.<

lol funny walmart. You can do that and get away with it. Awesome.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #16 
BettaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
One thing I have noticed is it doesn't depend on the name of the petstore but rather the people who work there. You can have the best or worst known company in business but it's up the the employees to take care of the animals there.

My itty bitty betta was from Petco. While others where healthy looking she was a floater. They didn't even give me a discount on a mostly dead fish.
Wow, you can get a discount on a cracked tank but not on a mostly dead fish, something is wrong there.

If I ever have the money or space to take care for a rescue betta I will take a before and after picture and take them back to the store to show them!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #17 
RoMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPirate View Post
Wow, you can get a discount on a cracked tank but not on a mostly dead fish, something is wrong there.

If I ever have the money or space to take care for a rescue betta I will take a before and after picture and take them back to the store to show them!
I did find a picture of Kaoru (betta) when she was first beginning to swim and she wasn't using her tail and it was just hanging limp behind her. It is absolutely amazing the transformation she's been making. Yeah, she did live, but I have no idea how. Though I wish I got a picture of her when she was a floater so I could have recorded the road she's taken so far.

Petco is where I got her, but the employees at petsmart are the ones rooting for her. Petsmart has the best supplies for smaller tanks less then 2 gal.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...o/DSC02557.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...o/DSC02559.jpg
Earliest pictures I have. It amazes me how darker she's become. BTW the top pic she isn't turning, that's how her spine used to be.

Last edited by RoMay; 12-03-2012 at 01:55 AM.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #18 
BettaPirate

poor baby! but i'm glad she is on the road to recovery! I am taking a trip to walmart tomorrow for some Christmas crafts for my son and I know I won't be able to just walk past the betta section without shedding a tear for the poor fishies :(
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #19 
Saphira101

my petsmart is AWESOME with the bettas, I always get mine from them because the water is clean, the bettas are healthy, and the employees are knowledgeable. my local petco on the other hand is terrible with bettas (not to mention all of the other fish; they don't even isolate sick ones.) last time I was there getting a new siphon I saw this male lying on the bottom of his cup that was breathing heavily but couldn't get up for air. :( just about broke my heart. when I'm old enough to get a job, I'll work there and do water changes, (not only for bettas but for all the fish) feed them adequately, and give some decent advice to customers.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #20 
emeraldmaster

I personally screamed at the fish person in Walmart for half an hour on how to care for fish. Then I made sure that my complaints were heard by the Manager. I was offered one of the bettas for free, the one that started the nagging. A cambodian crowntail girl in 1cm of water. Couldn't take her, but left a mighty big impression. Now the fish tanks, ALL of them, are cared for. I asked around until I met the new fish person. Lucky for me, her has studdied fish for 30 years, and is a HUGE fanatic. The other employees are still scared of me. All of this took place at Walmart!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perry the platypus, the big tag spammer, was here