Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 
moonsand0wls

Swollen belly?

So, I just fed my rescue betta Sasuke, and I noticed he has a really swollen belly. It looks swollen, like a female if she was really full of eggs. He ate the blood-worms I gave to him as a treat. What is wrong? Constipation? I usaully feed him Tetra's Betta Tropical Medley - tiny flakes and dried shrimp. I feed all of my other Betta it and they love it. What is it? I'm worried. How do you treat it?
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 
bryanacute

My betta is having this problem. I was told its either constipation or over feeding-eating. I'm fasting right now. That would be your best choice for 3 days If he is REALLY fat. Of this continues, might want to PM OldFishLady.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 
moonsand0wls

Thank you :) Yeah, I'm going to fast him. I really don't want him to get worse. I have a few pictures, I will post them on here soon :(
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 
moonsand0wls

:(
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

Did you fast him once a week? How many flakes do you normally give him? How many bloodworms do you give him and how often?

Continue to fast him and maybe treat him with Epsom salt until he poops. Keep him in a small clear jar/do daily water changes if you use the epsom salt.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #6 
moonsand0wls

I have been fastening him once a week lately as I haven't been home, but I usually am feeding them every night. He is in a community tank and they all are eating the same food - Tetra's Betta Tropical Mix Medley (I think that's what it's called; the other fish in there eat it too) and I will usually put in two pinches to feed the lot of them. I have four other tetras in there, and a Pleco, which I feed him his own special big pellets that I'm 99% sure my Betta doesn't touch. I have never given him blood-worms, today was the first day for a treat, and to find out if he likes them so I could feed them to him more often (because my other Betta is fussy and won't eat them), and I only really noticed that his stomach was swollen while he was eating. I'm going to fasten him.. How long do you suggest I do it for? I can't get into town to get new medicines until next Tuesday, which is five days away!! :/ (My fish have never been sick so I lend out my medications etc and they've run out now and I live in the country and my fish decides to get sick! -_-) Will he last until then?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #7 
bryanacute

Best thing 2 do is fast him until his belly goes down
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
moonsand0wls

Okay I will =) Thank you
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #9 
bryanacute

Welcome
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #10 
moonsand0wls

He's lying at the bottom of his tank a lot. :/ Is this normal for a constipated fish? I've never had one before.