Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #1 
RoMay

New From OC

Now I find this forum was looking to introduce myself earlier. Well, late is better then never right. Well my names AprilMay people usually just call me Ro. I have four fish. Never planned on owning fish, used to hate the idea of owning fish. But you know sometimes life hands you fish instead of lemons. Oh what are you to do but to take care of them.

Okay my veiltail betta was a buy, but she looked dead so I went soft. She lives happily in a one gallon awaiting the day she can HOPEFULLY join the other 3 fish. The other 3 being 2 rosy and 1 fathead minnow. There used to be 3 rosies but one sadly didn't make the finial journey home. I found 4 minnows at a bus stop and I wasn't about to flush them. Over all I think they'd make great tank mates. The minnows after all only use 1% of a 10 gallon and that is near the filter. Well the minnows have been venturing out more now that they realized the new plants don't taste as nasty as the fern I got.

I really do not know what else to say I am horrible at introductions. So I'll leave you with a poor quality video of my betta playing with a piece of nori.

http://youtu.be/VthxRcibV18
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

welcome to the forum! Your little betta is so cute. I didn't plan on owning fish either but a family member got one as a present and the poor betta did not get looked after so I took over and got hooked lol within a couple of months I had 13 male bettas!

Bettas don't always get along with other fish very well..... are minnows nippy at all? Bettas are usually happiest when kept alone so unless you really have to put your betta in with the others I wouldn't, she might hurt the minnows or they might nip at her fins. Keep us updated on how she goes
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 
Hershey

If you really want tankmates, snails are nice.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #4 
RoMay

From what I understand about bettas and minnows is they're equal opportunity pests. Minnows can nip at the betta, or the betta can nip at the minnows. If your lucky both won't care about the other. It's an introduction that will need close watching and both parties to be nearly the same size. NOW if my itty bitty betta turns out to be a he, which I have been told can still happen many of times, then the whole introduction is off.

As for snails, ::shudders:: great tank mates but not for the owner. I have hard enough time suppressing the knowledge of what blood worms are. Right now her and her Japanese Moss ball are great tank mates.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.

Nice to meet you...

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote