Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 
swishyfish

My first post - my first betta. A wal-mart rescue.

So, Ive wanted a betta fish for quite some time now and finally couldnt take it anymore. Picking up a few things at wal-mart a couple of days ago, I passed an end-cap stacked full of beautiful fish in dirty little cups. After about a half hour of looking, I reached to the back (in the dark) and pulled out this gorgeous red, blue, and green betta, smaller than the rest, who was clearly very excited to be taken out of his dark cubby hole.

The moment I got him home I hit the internet to learn how to care for him & luckily found this forum right away. After many hours of reading all the great information here - I felt extremely confident about picking out Normans new digs.

Hes now happily swimming around in his new 10 gallon tank with his heater, his hornwort, java ferns, pothos and various other planted bulbs. He swims in and around the leaves... even plays in the filter current and hasnt stopped for a moment since I introduced him to his tank last night. Always seeing them in those cups, I kinda though he would just 'hang' in his tank. But *surprise* this fish loves to swim!

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for the incredible information. I have a beautiful, happy little fish because of you.
swishyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #2 
sainthogan

I'm glad you were able to find good information and find a beautiful new addition to your family. As my son has announced, they are part of our family, not just a pet.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 
swishyfish

So true. I havent had a fish since my early 20's which was quite some time ago & Id forgotten how much they add to the feeling of the house. He's quite distracting though, I find myself losing a lot of time to watching him swim around with his big gorgeous fins! Hes a beloved member of the family already. :)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Awww, what a wonderful story! It always warms my heart to read these kinds of posts! 8D
Congrads on the new finned companion and kudos on all the research!! Haha, they really are surprisingly active little fish! I remember how shocked I was when I brought my very first betta home....he was so all over the place and so attentive! Always curious about what I was doing, like a little finned puppy. xD

I, and I'm sure many others, would love to see pictures of your little guy and your setup! We like pictures here! xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Yeah, post pictures!
One note about the Pothos- It's not an aquatic plant. The roots can grow in the water, but the leaves will die if they are submerged.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your to the forum happy you found us and your Betta sounds so sweet loving his new home he is a lucky little guy. My Betta came from Walmart too and has been very healthy since I got him 6 months ago. Best wishes to you and your new family member I feel the same way about my guy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #7 
swishyfish

:) I intended to post some pics with my original note, but (of course) my camera battery died as soon as I turned it on. I put some up as soon as its charged though. Thanks for all the well wishes!

Oh, I intend to take the pothos out as soon as the water lilies start growing. His tank looked a little bare so I gave him some quartz and temporary plants (the pothos was already growing in water so I figured, what the heck!). He loves them though. Will I have the heart to take them away? sigh. lol