Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #1 
bethyMT

1 or 2 filters for 10G

Hi everybody. I'm still learning a lot about bettas, and right now I have a 10 gallon that I am cycling. I will be adding a giant betta in there when it's done (of the batch of the babies I'm getting tomorrow...eep!). Anyway, I am coming at this from the viewpoint of someone who has done tropical community tanks for about 15 years, and I'm confused by the differences there are between that and betta care.

My question is: do I need to have 2 filters on my 10G? Right now I have a whisper 10i and a sponge filter (rated up to 15g). I have always tried for 2x filter capacity above manufacturer ratings, i.e., I have filtration for 120gallons on my 55g tank. However, that 10i drives me nuts. Although it's turned down, it just causes too much disturbance when combined with the sponge. I don't want to stress the fish out. Could I ditch the 10i and just stick with the sponge? I have bulk carbon, and I can and do make "filter bags" of that to float in the tank when needed.

Also, the betta is gonna be a HMPK giant. With the shorter fins, is flow as big of an issue as with the veils and other big finned-types?
Thank you. I feel like I have so many questions. Thanks for bearing with me.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Bettas... Giant, half, or regular don't need two filters ever. If it were a goldfish, maybe

Short finned bettas are stronger swimmers than those of longer finned varieties. My female sororities always have filters while halfmoon males won't, for example. If you are able to, adjust it to the fish - some dont mind filters while some may be more finicky and dislike anything more than a bubbler set on low.

Betta fish are surface breathers, and on top of that unlike most other fish they are quite a bit more hygienic! Since it is a 10, I'd say you could still cycle the tank. Do you had cycled tanks still? Borrow gravel, ornaments, filter cartridge, to kick the cycle into place. :)

Sponge filters are just fine! I use sponge filters because they are more gentle.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Hi & welcome. I have 3 Top Fin 10g tanks & I only run the filter that came with each kit, 2 tanks have a male betta & a mystery snail, the 3rd only has a male betta for now. I test the water in my longest running tank last night ammo/nitrites were 0, nitrates <5. So, to put simply if you're only going to have the male betta in the 10g you don't need 2 filters IMO. As far as the flow goes, it's not all about the finnage but the Betta itself. I find in my 10g tanks the current is too strong on the output, I used the water bottle baffle for a while but then decided to put sponge into the the intake arm & I like that better. Now my girls are in a 46g tank with no baffling whatsoever but it's a much larger volume of water & there are calm areas they can retreat to. I've watched them swim under where the outflow dumps into the tank & just get slammed downward but it doesn't seem to bother them, they just keep moving on. So, you can try it without baffling to see how he does & then baffle later if need be.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 
bethyMT

Thank you both. The tank is almost done cycling...just waiting for the nitrites to drop. I was trying to do a "clean" fishless cycle with pure ammonia...but I am temped to cheat and add filter media from the 55 to speed up the finish, since I'm gonna need the tank soon.

Good to know that i don't have to have 2 filters on it. I will keep it running for now, mainly because of the bacteria built up on it so I can transfer that to the 20G baby tank. I will watch Mr. Monkey (can you tell my five year old named the fish, before it has even arrived?) and see how he does.

Right now I have four tanks going, a 55g, a 20g, a 10g, and a 5.5g. Feels a lot like juggling.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Haha I have 11 tanks currently but most are bettas so it's not so bad!! Good luck with... Mr Monkey. :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote