Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #1 
babystarz

Christmas Light Timers?

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't use a Christmas light timer to program my photoperiod in my tanks? I found a double outlet one at Walgreen's for significantly cheaper than the actual aquarium light timers. It's made to be rained/snowed on so a little moisture won't cause problems. I just wanted to make sure it's not a major no-no before setting it up.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 
pittipuppylove

I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. All of the timers I use (both for fish and reptiles) are from the hardware store, and they work just fine. To the best of my knowledge, the brands "designed" for aquarium use are exactly the same as those for everything else - they just change the packaging and jack the price up.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #3 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. All of the timers I use (both for fish and reptiles) are from the hardware store, and they work just fine. To the best of my knowledge, the brands "designed" for aquarium use are exactly the same as those for everything else - they just change the packaging and jack the price up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah that's what I assumed, they do look exactly the same!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Yup, the exact same thing. If I didn't need a power strip for all the stuff I have going on and off plus the permanently on stuff I would have got one.

Also, those timers are great to hook up various lights in your house to when you go away so it looks like someone is still home.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote