Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 
Water

What is this?

Alright, so I don't know what this white patch is behind my fish's pectoral fin... He's recovering from dropsy so I don't know if that's the skin growing back or fungus.
Attached Images

Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 
Fish mom

Off the subject but does he like the leaf you have on the side of the tank? I looked at those for our betta.
Fish mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 
fgradowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish mom View Post
Off the subject but does he like the leaf you have on the side of the tank? I looked at those for our betta.
Both of my fish have those betta hammocks and Algernon really uses his a lot. Vardaman seems to prefer hiding in his plants instead, but I have seen him swim up into the hammock a few times.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
Just make sure you pull the wire out of it. It's easy to do and the plastic part pops right back into the suction cup. The wire is made of cheap metal that can rust

Water, could you possibly get a pic of your fishie in a full profile view? I just want to see the white thing straight on from the side. It looks like it could be fungus to me but I am not 100% sure.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 
Water

Quote:
LOL, I'm not too sure if he likes it.. he hasn't really sat on top of it yet, but he's gone underneath it. My fish just might be anxious all the time, but you could try it out with your fish and see if he (or they) take a liking to it.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #6 
Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Just make sure you pull the wire out of it. It's easy to do and the plastic part pops right back into the suction cup. The wire is made of cheap metal that can rust

Water, could you possibly get a pic of your fishie in a full profile view? I just want to see the white thing straight on from the side. It looks like it could be fungus to me but I am not 100% sure.
I tried to do that, but he doesn't sit still. I can try again or see if one of the photos I shot are any better than this one. Give me a couple minutes. :)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Fungus usually fuzzy , cottony like patch. How is his white patch looks like? Are you sure it not normal coloration and was there before?
If he is acting normal then i would watch that spot make sure it not growing. Do extra water changes for him. How big is his tank? How much and how often you do his water change?
He really don't look like he even had dropsy. Did you treat him with medications or epsom salt?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #8 
Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Fungus usually fuzzy , cottony like patch. How is his white patch looks like? Are you sure it not normal coloration and was there before?
If he is acting normal then i would watch that spot make sure it not growing. Do extra water changes for him. How big is his tank? How much and how often you do his water change?
He really don't look like he even had dropsy. Did you treat him with medications or epsom salt?
It looks fuzzy and as if it could be pulled apart. It wasn't there before, I just noticed it today. He had dropsy so I put him inside a small tank so that he can recover. His normal tank is 1.5 or 2 gallons and I change his water 25% each day and 100% every third day. I've been treating him with this medication called Maracyn Two, it supposed to help with dropsy and fungal infections as well. He was very bloated before and pine-coning, he would not eat, sat at the bottom of the tank and he had sores on his body. So I believe that to be dropsy. He's better now, still recovering I suppose, but this patch has got me worried again. :/ It's always one thing after another with him. How would I get rid of this patch though?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

I am wondering if it just his slime coat. Do you add stress coat in the water? If you still using medications i would not add anything else in his tank. Just finish with medications first.When you change the water just check if that white spot the same or it gone. Because if it just his slime coat i assume with water changes it will gone or reduce in size. I would do 100% water change.
If you finish with medications and if you think that the spot getting bigger or spread on his body i would do aquarium salt. But if spot the same and don't get worse i would keep water changes and iif you have stress coat API or KardonFush protection i would add it in his water. Is he eating and acting normally otherwise?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #10 
Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I am wondering if it just his slime coat. Do you add stress coat in the water? If you still using medications i would not add anything else in his tank. Just finish with medications first.When you change the water just check if that white spot the same or it gone. Because if it just his slime coat i assume with water changes it will gone or reduce in size. I would do 100% water change.
If you finish with medications and if you think that the spot getting bigger or spread on his body i would do aquarium salt. But if spot the same and don't get worse i would keep water changes and iif you have stress coat API or KardonFush protection i would add it in his water. Is he eating and acting normally otherwise?
This is what I add into his tank while doing 100% daily water changes (until he gets better): API Stress Coat, Aq Salt, Kordon Amquel Plus Ammonia detoxifier conditioner (which gets rid of all the harmful chemicals in the water) and the Maracyn Two. He's eating and acting as active as can be. Why should I not add anything else into the water aside from his medication? It could be his slime coat because in that area he had sores and was bleeding so it could just be repairing and that might fall off when his skin is recovered.. I'm not too sure.