Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Excessive flaring?

I just got my new betts on Tuesday so he hasn't been in his new tank long, but he seems to be flaring a lot. I can't tell if he can see his reflection in the glass or if it's because I've approached his tank or what. Should I be very concerned?

I just don't want him to hurt himself. Him and my other betta have the exact same tank, but I don't have a problem with my other betta flaring excessively or randomly.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Can he see the other betta? are the tanks in the same location or is the lighting different for each? He could just be more aggressive.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

The tanks are facing each other but are on opposite sides of the room so they are pretty far apart. Can they see very far? I'm really bad at guessing distances, haha.

I wanted to put the tanks right next to each other, but I wasn't sure what I should use to put in between the tanks so they couldn't see each other.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

LOL. I'm not sure how far they can see but across the room is questionable. I put 2 of my 10g tanks side by side & cut a piece of cardboard to fit in between so they couldn't see each other unless I move the cardboard. Its funny because they seem to know there's a Betta on the other side of the cardboard, every time I go to the tanks they both swim to that side.
Attached Images

shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #5 
Myates

He's just setting up his territory most likely.. unsure of his surroundings still. If the tank light is on, but the room is dark they tend to see their reflections. And even still, some will flare at their owners.. means he has spunk :)

It won't harm him, it will build up his muscles and the worse case scenario you are looking at a split fin possibly, which would fuse back together in a few days.

Give him time, he'll adjust and calm down once he realizes he is safe and the tank is his :)

Also, don't hide them from one another all the time - these domesticated little ones are actually quite social and some really prefer to see another betta.. even if it's just to flare at them.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Well I'm planning on moving him next to the other tank once I find something suitable to put in between the tanks. For one, he's closer to a window and the wall he is next to is slightly colder than the other one. I did cover the window to help prevent drafts. The heaters I have ordered haven't shipped yet. :( The other tank is also closer to the one big flourescent light in the room, so it's harder to get pictures of the new guy :p

I was wondering if there is something I can do to prevent reflections in the glass and something other than cardboard (preferrably waterproof) to put in between the tanks?

Both bettas also spend most of their time in the top right front corner of their tank.