Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #21 
trevorck

Actually, the product description of Maracyn does mention it treats Columnaris.

It sounds like Kanaplex would be the best option -- which is the same thing as Kanacyn (Kanamycin sulfate). I checked Seachem's website, and the only place near me that sells Kanaplex is pretty far away. I live 5 minutes from a Petco and a Petsmart. Do they sell any other brand? I see they do sell Maracyn Plus.

Another question: Do I remove the carbon filter in the tank when using these? I removed it per the directions when using the General Cure metronidazole, but I don't know if I should continue keeping it unfiltered.

Also, are epsom salts better than aquarium salt in this case?

Thanks for all your help you guys! Such a fantastic place to consult fellow Betta-lovers!
trevorck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #22 
callistra

It's very rarely works on Columnaris. There are many many articles across the net and other publications on it, and also a whole slew of discussion on various boards where people have failed to treat it with it and lost fish.

Seachem is the only company I know to sell Kanamyacin med.

Yes, the carbon needs to be removed.

Yes, in your case epsom salts are better because they will help with the bloating.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #23 
trevorck

Great news! Last night I cleaned out Scully's tank, vacuumed his gravel, did a 50% water change, and put a dose of epsom salts and Maracyn Plus into his tank...

I crossed my fingers and went to bed...

Today, Scully is in noticeably better shape! He's swimming around much more. He actually ate a couple food pellets (first time eating in a week!) I will continue the Maracyn Plus treatment through the 5-day treatment cycle.

I have 2 questions:

1) Should I do a water change before his next dose of Maracyn Plus? I took the carbon filter out, so his tank isn't getting filtered.

2) How often should I treat his water with epsom salts? Is this just something to use when fish are sick? Or good to use once in a while?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #24 
callistra

Great to hear!

The tank is still getting filtered without carbon, so long as you didn't shut off the whole filter. Your filter doesn't need carbon. I would do a water change in between doses.. 25-50%. Add back the same amount of epsoms as water you take out.. so if you take out 2 gallons add 2 tsp back in.

I would only dose with epsoms if you sick are fish or are so constipated that fasting doesn't help.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #25 
Water

Oh my god! I'm so happy to hear that you bought the Maracyn and that it's working :) I would recommend a 100% water change before adding a new pack of Maracyn just because it might build up and cause od? I'm not too sure, but better safe than sorry! And if you're going to treat him with Epsom salt, you must add the same amount and I think only for a certain period of time.
Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #26 
Tikibirds

Epsom is OK for long term use. It's aquarium salt that can cause damage if used for too long.
I wonder what his problem is as maracyn shouldn't work on columnaris because columnaris is a gram negative bacteria. Maracyn fights gram positive bacteria.

Maracyn
Active ingredients: Erythromycin
Diseases: gram positive bacterial infections, fin and tail rot, popeye, body fungus
Comments:
These antibiotics prevent protein synthesis and effect the cells ability to reproduce.

Further information can be found under the name Erythromycin.
Erythromycin
Diseases: bacterial infections, intestinal flagellates
Contraindications:
It was noted to be quite effective when the pH is neutral or slightly alkaline.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #27 
callistra

He's using Maracyn Plus not Maracyn. Not the same med.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

Usually Epsom salt you can use 1-up to 3tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes. You can use it for long time. Some cases- indefinitely in low dose if fish has chronic sbd.Water i remember your post when you was treating you betta with meds+ salt + stress coat with daily water changes. That what i would also recommend. You can do daily 100% water changes or at least 50% and 100% every other day while oyu treating him. You can just redose salt and require dose of the medications with water changes. But make sure you acclimate betta to new water temp/chemistry when you do 100% water changes. You really don't need filter at all. I even think water flow can bother him since he is weak. I would wash it in the hot , boiled water and dry it out .Just wait until i hope he will recover. You need filters when you cycle the tank only. When you do the water changes that you do now you really don't need filter .
Please give us update, i would really want to know if that medication is working.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #29 
trevorck

Happy New Year everyone!

I just wanted to give a quick update on Scully. He's doing 1000% better. He swims around excitedly, doesn't have any of that fungus on him anymore, and is making massive bubble nests. He eats his food within seconds, and just seems like a whole new fish. I think the Maracyn Plus was his saving grace, but the heater seems to be making him happier and limiting his diet is making him less sluggish.

I attached an image so you can see how his marbling is progressing. Since my last post he's gotten significantly lighter and more of his fins are translucent. I'm excited to see what he turns into and will continue to post pics.

Thanks for all of your help!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #30 
callistra

Yay! Glad to hear he's doing so well.. what a crazy marble LOL