Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #1 
Stark

Just curious

I've had my little guy for a couple of weeks now and all is well. He swims around happily, is building bubble nests, etc...

But as a rookie betta keeper I do have a couple of questions. Although happy, he seems pretty aggressive. I don't really mind but is this normal. He seems very spunky and almost a punk (which suits me well!). He doesn't flare much but he has started going after my finger or hand if it's in the tank.

He's happy when I feed him and gobbles up his food, but if at any other time I put my finger in he might nibble a bit, but then backs off and after a couple seconds comes back and attacks pretty strongly.

I respect his wishes and don't bother him much. And he's not a dog, it's not like he's causing any damage. But it's kind of funny and I'm hoping/assuming that it's not an indication that there's something wrong.

The other question I have is about changing his water. I do about an 80% change every 4-5 days and that seems to be working. I've tested his water and everything is in order even after a few days. But I feel super bad destroying his bubble nest.

I do a complete wash out of the tank so it's not like I can avoid messing it up. There isn't anything to actually feel guilty about right? Within a day or two he has been building a new one and then keeps making it bigger until change time again.

I know it's silly, but I really do like my little guy and want him to be happy. His personality fits right in with our animal family and I want him to live a long time :)

Thanks for your help!
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

Bettas are naturally aggressive. You should be concern when he becomes lethargic. In addition, bettas love to build nest, and usually it is a sign of good health. I destroy their nest all the time so they can rebuild it as that keeps them active and healthy. From the looks, you must be feeding him something good for him to be excited about your fingers. My bettas do the same, they jump at my fingers for food. Good job and good luck.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 
logisticsguy

It sounds like you are doing a good job with your betta. Spunky punky is a good indication that he is healthy. Do not worry about wiping out bubble nests, they just build more and it is also a sign of health. Very normal behavior for a young male betta.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #4 
Stark

Thanks! He's definitely full of spunk :)

Any idea how to tell how old they are? He's smaller than most of the bettas I see at the store. How old are they when they are typically shipped out for sale?
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 
whatsupyall

It varies when fish are sold, especially by the breeder. In addition, I don't think there is any way of telling how old a betta is, unless you ask the breeder or you bred it yourself. Usually around 3-5 months for halfmoons and halfmoon plakats are when they are sold assuming that it's from breeders. Sometimes, it might be older fish that they held on to for other reasons. Sometimes it's from random people who just wants to re-home it. You would need to know the direct source. Size won't tell you too much since it is only one of the factors of age. There is also food diets, genetics, water conditions, etc that help establish a fish's size. Well, enjoy him while he's here. :)
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote