Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 
minkymink

Ammonia Levels

I bought a API master test kit about 2 or 3 months ago to test my water once a week. I have noticed something weird in my results that didn't make sense to me. My ph comes out to be 6.6, ammonia .25ppm, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. Why is my ammonia up and I have no nitrates when I've been trying to cycle my tank for about 3 or 4 months now. It's a filtered 5 gallon. Shouldn't it be cycled by now?
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

It really depends on what is in your tank. Anyway, on average it takes most people approximately 1-2 months. You can find store products that will help to cycle your tank faster. Or you can seed from someone who has an established aquarium, perhaps your LFS. You would have to give more detail as to what you are doing exactly for us to better diagnose the situation. However, since your readings are fine, I don't see why you would be bothered. .25ppm level for ammonia is very acceptable for bettas. Just keep doing what you are doing, it should be fine. I am sure your tank will cycle sooner or later, but if it doesn't, that's fine also, considering that you are doing a cycle with fish since it can be dangerous as ammonia and nitrites will shoot off the charts. Good luck.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote