Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #11 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbettaowner View Post
They have never been divided since I got them. The pet store says it is fine to have 2 females together but not 2 males or a male and a female together.
HAHAHA sorry.. but man oh man gotta love those pet store employees who are only wanting to sell, not give true advice. Sorry.. if you rather listen to him then go ahead.. if not, there are plenty of people here who keep and breed these fish who can help you in the proper care of them. We're out for the well being of the animal, not for a sale :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #12 
fgradowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbettaowner View Post
They have been together for a month now in the tank (1.5 gallon) and have had no problems. I have a smaller tank but it is a plastic one and it isn't lighted or have circuiting water. I do not have the room for a 3 gallon tank nor do I want to transport that home. 3 gallon tank costs a lot of money and I don't have that much money to spend. These two have no problems with each other. I have 3 plants and a corral looking thing that they can swim in and out of. They have room.
You don't have the room? I live in a DORM room with a roommate and I have found the room for two 3 gallon critter keepers for my bettas. My room probably isn't even a 10x10 and it's split with my roommate. You can find the room for a couple 3 gallon tanks. My tanks were $16.99 at Petco.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #13 
txbettaowner

Again I have Christmas to buy for. So until Christmas is bought for then I can't do anything. After I have christmas presents bought then I can start buying another fish tank which I do have room right next to the other one with no problem. The fish are going to go in the bedroom anyway with the door closed as we have cats and I don't need the cats attempting to knock over the tank which I don't think they can now. Thankfully.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #14 
Myates

I am sorry you were given wrong advice by the pet store salesperson. I wish they would start considering the well being of the animals.

I would see if you have anything.. even a large tupperware container that is soap free to house one in. It still won't last the 11 days unfortunately.. unsure how you can go about that without purchasing even a $10 kritter keeper or $12 for a 10g tank and just fill it part way, place the 1.5 in it and the other female to swim around in the 10g.. a heater placed in the 10g to keep them both warm. Maybe another will have an idea of what you can use.

It's just not worth the risk leaving them like that for much longer, let alone the 11 days. I wish you luck in finding something.. and next time, double check before listening to store employees.. sometimes you get honest ones, other times you don't which is sad because then you're in a situation where you love your pets, but keeping them the way you were told is okay could actually cause one or both to die.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #15 
Alcemistnv

without reading the other posts, I'll give you my opinion.

FIRST: Both bettas should be in a larger tank if you want them to survive. Especially in such a small tank with TWO females.

SECOND: While the fish may last during that time you are gone, the tank won't. Ammonia will build up with two fish in such a small tank. And if you use those feeders, it will get worse. When I was gone for oly 6 days, my tanks went up from 0 to 1 ppm in ammonia levels (I had a cucumber in there for my oto PLUS a algae tablet, oops!). They can last without food, but the tank is the main concern.

What I can tell you: You NEED to invest in a bigger tank. There is no excuse. If you have one 1.75 gallong, you can get two. IF you can't, get rid of a fish. Two females in a 1.75 gallon is too small, especially when they will be alone for so long. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my fish for so long unless they were in a large filtered/cycled tank where I know the ammonia/nitrates/etc. Won't jump while I'm gone.

In my dorm room, I had a 1.75 gallon, a 3 gallon, a 5 gallon, and a 10 gallon, so I have quite the experiece when it comes to leaving fish alone for long periods of time :)

Just take the advice that's being given (Myates is amazing) and things will get beter.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #16 
txbettaowner

Well I found a 4 gallon tank. I will send the link in this post. Tell what you think of this tank. It will take some time to get the money but I will figure something out.

http://www.petco.com/product/118202/...TanksAquariums
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Two females in one tank whether it's a small tank or big tank is not a good idea. One female will dominate the other one and harrass her to death.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #18 
Myates

Aww shucks.. make me blush, Al! lol

I only say what I say because I give a darn. I'm an animal lover, an enthusiast, but I do know that these are just animals. They don't think or feel the way we do. They don't understand anything. They just go by instincts and their senses. It's up to us to make sure they are healthy and safe.

We've all made mistakes when we first get our pets.. and sometimes it takes years before one will learn something. So no one is faulting you for listening to the sales clerk. So you don't need to be defensive.. what we should be doing is finding a way to keep your fish healthy and alive, and you happy and not broke.

I came on strongly, because I can be rather straight forward. I apologize for that part. But I won't apologize for fighting to try to keep those pretty girls alive.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #19 
Myates

Ack! You two posting while I was typing :P

It's a good tank, one you can divide easily and cheaply. If you have the room, you can easily get a 10g set up for $30 at Walmart, and then you can create a sorority and have 4-6 females all together. Look at the dimensions of the tanks and see if it is possible.. if money is a problem, I'd say going a bit larger for cheaper is a win-win.

You can also divide the 10g if you wish and just keep the 2 girls, or divide it for 3-4 fish and get some males :)

Plenty of options and it doesn't always have to be that expensive.. and any questions we will be happy to answer when it comes to setting up a divided tank, or a sorority. :)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #20 
fgradowski

If you read through the reviews someone said that the filter produced too strong of a current for their bettas...I don't know if there is a way to fix that on that tank if that were to be true.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote