Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #21 
Myates

I didn't look, but there is usually always a way to buffer a filter - whether it's with a sponge in the outflow, intake... stockings work.. plastic bottles. She just has to find something that will suit her wallet and space.. everything else can be taken care of if she needs help. Lots of people here with lots of experience and ideas :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #22 
txbettaowner

How about this one instead? It has a divider it is a 2.5 gallon tank. It has the filter and the light. It just doesn't have a heater.

http://www.petco.com/product/12351/A...escription-tab
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #23 
Myates

So it's more about room than wallet I am assuming.. as a 10g full kit is only $10 more. I can understand the space issues.

Hmm.. I know my Walmart sells 10g complete kits for $30 - got one for just plants. Oh well.. they do have this tank..

The tank you just posted isn't the greatest, but it can house them safely and healthy. With substrate it will give them about a gallon each - which tends to be the recommended bare minimum per betta. They can still see each other, has a filter which will help. Heaters generally are cheap - look for a 25 watt one for that size of a tank once you are able to.

For now, and for a good while they should be fine in that tank. Just make sure to keep up with the weekly water changes though, as it's still rather small for 2 fish. But it's better than them sharing a smaller tank with no divider.

If you get it before you leave for Ohio, keep one girl in the 1.5 and another in the new tank - that way the water won't foul up so quickly and there is a better chance at them surviving.

Can also check on Amazon.com - tend to find the same items much cheaper there :)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #24 
txbettaowner

So if I put the 2 female betta fish in the 5 gallon tank you posted while we leave for Ohio they won't kill each other?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #25 
fgradowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbettaowner View Post
So if I put the 2 female betta fish in the 5 gallon tank you posted while we leave for Ohio they won't kill each other?
You're still going to need to have a divider. You can make your own from craft mesh. They only way to be absolutely sure that they won't kill each other is if they are separated.
But a 5 gallon divided would be much, much nicer than a 2.5 divided.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #26 
Myates

Sorry, I didn't explain it better.. a 10 gallon is a must, with 4-6 females minimum in order to house females together without a divider.

When I was mentioning the larger tanks, I was showing you that for the same prices you can get bigger tank if you wish.

You can divide the 5g by using plastic crafting mesh that is only a dollar or two at Walmart, and report folder binders you get at Dollar General for a dollar. Here is a guide to help you understand what I'm saying.. you would use those to divide tanks that are 10 gallons and under.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #27 
txbettaowner

So even if I get a 5 gallon tank I still need to divide the females? Well only good thing would be that I can buy a male an put him in the 1.5 gallon tank then.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #28 
Myates

Yeah I'm sorry.. females can be a pain that way - I wish it was safe to house 2 together like that without a divider.. I think we all wish that :(
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #29 
txbettaowner

yeah no ****.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #30 
LittleBlueFishlets

Walmart has a basic 10 gallon tank for $12.97.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-10-...-1-ct/10312733

It's just a tank, nothing else. So you'd still need to get a heater and thermometer, at least, and put a divider in it to separate your girls. But the price of the tank itself, I think, is very good.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 11-30-2012 at 12:16 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote