Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #11 
DoctorWhoLuver

It's best not to mix AQ salt with medication. Before you treat, are you positive it's velvet? Even if you cannot tell by color/flashlight test, it literally looks like dust stuck to the side of the betta. When Rose and Tiersias had it, the velvet was really obvious. The velvet sticks to the betta similar to dust on a table.

I had a fish a two weeks ago with the same exact symptoms of your fish, except she did not move at all. She was also twitching and flashing, so I assumed it was some sort of external parasite. Fortunately, she got better with AQ salt treatment.

How's is his poo? X]
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #12 
twolovers101

I'm pretty sure it might be velvet... I couldn't see any external parasites... though the AQ salt probably wouldn't hurt, I'm going to go ahead and try the formalin... I haven't had much luck with AQ salt in the past.

His poops are perfect lol xD the right color, and mostly roundish, he still has an appetite and ate his dinner with gusto this evening, so I have high hopes for him getting over whatever this is :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #13 
DoctorWhoLuver

Velvet is visible.
Lol; it's good that he's still eating :) how long had he been on AQ salt?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #14 
twolovers101

Yeah, the reason I think that it's velvet is because of the strange iridescence I've seen on him, he had only been in the salt for a few hours :/ lol, got too excited that I had something that could effectively treat him. Like I said, I've had bad luck with the salt in the past... though it would probably be a gentler method... I just want him well again. I had just noticed the symptoms late last night and this morning... and because his behavior changed so quickly... that's one of the reasons I think it's velvet... I'll let you know how he responded over night when I see him in the morning :)
Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #15 
twolovers101

Talking Update!!! :D

Shosta is MUCH better, he is SIGNIFICANTLY unclamped and is using both of his pectoral fins again He as even blown some bubbles in his little cup for me! He's actively swimming around and just ate dinner. There is a small hole in one of his ventrals... but I don't think that it's something to fret over, his eyes are also not as cloudy as they were before.

Anyone know how long I should keep up the Quick Cure treatment before I can let him back into his tank?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #16 
sainthogan

I kept using it until she was fully healed, so maybe another day or two.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #17 
twolovers101

Okay, thank you again! I checked him again today and he's unclamped more and is swimming around quite happily in his little cup :)