Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #1 
lovee1795

The Sparky Diaries

I've been looking through these and decided to start one of my own! Don't be alarmed if I start to talk from the perspective of my Betta. d:

So I guess to start off, I bought my betta Sparky sometime towards the end of August. He's my first betta so I'm still learning the ropes. He's recovering from some swim bladder problems, so now I know that he needs to learn to eat his darn pellets instead of being so picky. This probably won't be an every day journal, as the life of a college dorm betta isn't really all that exciting. Anywho, say hi to Sparky! (He's also in the process of hopefully regrowing his tail)
Attached Images

lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #2 
lovee1795

Mom got me a new tank! I've upgraded from a 1 gallon to a 2.5 gallon! Unfortunately the current from the filter was blowing me against the side of the tank anytime I got caught in it, so mom had to unplug it. I'm pretty busy exploring my new tank right now, so off I go!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #3 
summersea

Welcome to the journals! Yay for an upgrade . I just bet you love all the new space!

With regards to the filter, if your mom ( ) can go to PetsMart or Petco you can buy some Fluval filter sponge (for $2-3) and cut it down to fit in the little intake valve hanging inside the tank (tweezers can help position the sponge easier). I do this with all my filters and makes a huge difference on the flow. Hope that helps you out!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #4 
lovee1795

I'll have to pass that info on to my mom. () And thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #5 
lovee1795

Today mom got my other plant in the mail, so now my tank is complete! Besides the fact that she still has to find me a new pineapple since mine decided to disintegrate. She went to PetSmart today to try some of the Fluval sponge, and they didn't have any. They were also out of Omega One pellets and apparently aren't getting a new shipment till Monday. She also tried the local pet store, but they seem to only carry Tetra brand food and no Fluval anything. She was rather frustrated. However, she did come home with a Betta Hammock Leaf from PetSmart that I have already taken a liking too.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #6 
lovee1795

Sparky flared for the first time (that I ever saw) yesterday. I hadn't given him any blood worms since his whole swim bladder ordeal, and he had been doing pretty well so I figured I'd give him a treat. So I put one on my finger and held it up to the glass and was like "What's this?!" (Ya know, in that baby talk voice we all use with our pets) and BAM. It was like he was all "GIVE ME THE WORM WOMAN." I may try training him to flare on command, or some other fun things. Hmmm...
Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #7 
lovee1795

Some updates and pictures.
1st Pic: Today Sparky got a good does of sunlight. Since it's winter and the sun is always low in the sky it shines right through my window to hit his tank on my desk (as long as there's no clouds) so it was a sun day with his tank light turned off for the day. Plus I like how the sunlight catches his blue shineyness. I've noticed since I put him in his bigger tank his colors have popped more. Yay for a happier fish!

2nd Pic: He also met Albert the duck today. Really, it's just this rubber duck my school set out for the Chinese New Year celebration. At first he just flared at it, then once he realized it wasn't going to eat him he was mostly just studying it.

3rd Pic: I'm seeing signs of fin regrowth! Yay! They aren't as ragged, and in this pic you can kinda see some white towards the end of his fins.

4th Pic: "Mom, you're supposed to be doing homework. Just stop with the pictures."

I also entered a picture in the Photo Contest, so, vote for Sparky! Yay! lol
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #8 
BettaLover1313

Sparky is very handsome! Love the rubber duck too!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #9 
lovee1795

Thanks! (:
Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #10 
lovee1795

So I got the Betta One pellets in the mail yesterday. Sparky LOVES them. Much better than those darn Tetra pellets. I decided to see if he would jump for his food, and he does! Yay! I want to start teaching him how to flare on command and such. In the meantime, I'm also going to get ready to be snowed in since we're supposed to get at least 6 inches Wednesday night into Thursday. The highest numbers I've seen so far are up to 12 and 14 inches though. Fingers cross it isn't nearly that much.