Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Betta Diaries

2.5 Gallon + T-Rex = Phycondrias' abode and well protected home.
3 Gallon Halfmoon Tank + Lots of Leaves! = Demi Walker, the tough and elegant.

Hi~ I find that I have a habit of talking about my betta. All the time. To Anyone who'll listen. >.< So I figured maybe it would be a good idea to start a journal here and keep a log of my water changes and such - since soon I'll have 3 betta and should keep track of things.

I've had Phy since July, and Demi is a recent and unexpected rescue. I've had a CT betta before called Kouriin, and though he lived for three years, after being here for a month I've realised I could have done much, much more for him.

R.I.P. Kouriin :(

Since coming here and getting lots of help and trying to help where I can, I find my bettas lives are much better now. So a huuuge thanks to everyone who's helped me on this site!

It's also nice to not feel alone in my slight obsession with the little ones, since that's something I feel on a daily basis around almost everyone else outside of this forum.

Anyways - this is about the bettas, not me :)

Not a big post today, but Phy is due for one more day of AQ Salt and then he gets to have his tank back to normal. I haven't seen any serious regrowth since he's been on the AQ Salt, but at least I feel he hasn't gotten any infections from his latest tail-biting episode. I think I'll put back in the safe plastic plants I have for him and the big orangey leaves and his t-rex skull. And going to put panty hose on the filter and see if it's a culprit at all, though I doubt it.

I hope with less on the surface he'll keep trying to make these bubblenests, I feel they're a good sign for him. But I also know they haven't started showing until I put him in the AQ Salt next to Demi's tank...>.>

Demi will get her first 25% water change in her new home tomorrow after I'm done setting up the shelf for her whisper filter. I'll do her before I do Phy since the tanks will be switching places, Demi up and Phy down. Hee~ Demi's been making use of her betta hammock I made, and for that I'm glad. Took her no time at all to give it and the leaves out and now she has her favourite spots to sit and rest. Still can't get a clear photo of her 100%.

And I think that's all for today. ^^
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

In my Ten gallon I do 50 percent water changes weekly.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #3 
Syriiven

That's what my plan is for the 10g =) figured that'd be enough of a change plus the plants
Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep so many plants that in my album you can see what happened to my filter.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 
Syriiven

I saw =) Very nice pictures.
------------------------------

So, today I did their water changes. Demi got a 30% water change, and Phy got switched back from AQ Salt to fresh water and got all his decorations back, so his was obviously a 100% change. Demi's doing fine, rests for a while then busies herself all over her tank, frequently visiting the hammock but she doesnt rest there long. Especially when she sees me moving (trying to get the camera for a pic...-_-; )

Phy's more distracted by exploring his tank with a bit of a change up from what it was before the salt baths, so not picking a fight with his reflection as much. I did note a small tear/hole in his lower fin and I'm wondering if it's actually a tear or finrot...but it just doesnt make sense. he was in AQ Salt with no new tears or biting for five days. There's even new fin growth on his tail, so why would there suddenly be a hole? So I'm hoping it's just a tear.

Though now I'm wondering if he's going to constantly have potential finrot due to his tail-biting, should I put him in the split 10g? Is finrot contagious? His tail-biting episodes are every few days to once a week, so there's lots of potential for him to get finrot especially if being moved back into the 10g (though he'll only have 5g for room and it'll be properly cycled) stresses him out real bad like it did the first time.

I do notice him and Demi looking at eachother from their tanks. I wonder how good a betta's vision is beyond the tank. They know when I come into the room immediately, but that could be vibrations easy. And I'm a big shadow in a mostly white room. But how good is there vision to spot eachother? how clearly?

Just wondering, wondering...

I also got an accurate thermometer to watch the temps of their tanks instead of relying solely on those strip thermometers which have like 3 different colors of a temp range >.<

Right now (with the non-adjustable submerisble heaters they both have) Phy's tank is about 81-82, and Demi's is 80-81. I'm wondering if that's too warm or just right...but removing the heaters brings the water temp down to about 75-77F...so....=S
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My filter system helps with water changes.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #7 
Syriiven

I took the filter out of PHy's 2.5g for right now. If I keep up with his water changes he'll be just fine, but it kept making this grinding sound. Plus I suspect if he has a still surface he just might make another bubblenest. Who knows! =) Demi's Whisper filter is so nice and quiet though! And has just a gentle trickle so she's not bothered by current.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I tried a whisper filter it was way too powerful.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #9 
Syriiven

This is a small one meant for a 1-3 gallon tank and the adjustability is really good. I don't know if I want one for the big tank tho. Then again Carter's fins look really really delicate.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I tried that one in my ten too big and powerful.