Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #251 
Syriiven

Yea I use the same mesh for my dividers along with poster borders. The only other non-fish tank stuff I'd use are polished stones or glass beads that dont have any wierd residue on them.

So I want to turn my sorority and 10gs into planted tanks (okay maybe not Seiya's, I"m done fighting with his tank he can live happilly with silk plants and his log), and beginning to think maybe I should grow my own plants. I mean, if I got a 20g, planted with soil and sand, then used it just for growing plants, I'd have a decent batch I could share between my tanks - yea? It could even sit on the floor, or just a plank on the floor, so long as I had the right light and stuff. I'd prlly go the CO2 injecting root along with Seachem Flourish and iunno whatelse.

Just thinking this might be easier than ordering plants for years to come, right? And then there won't be that risk of disease transference. Not that I'm worried about that from you LG =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #252 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I have seriously thought about doing something like that before. Problem is, I could never set up a tank and not put a fish in it... Lol. Apparently if you set up a npt properly you will get more plants then you need.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #253 
Syriiven

I'd be fine with that, I could sell them if need be, or just fully live plant my 5 gs too. I'm open to change in the future. But I live in a small town in Canada and I've found that shipping anything here is a hassle. So I may order a few things from LG and that Canadian seller on AB, and just start from there.

There is a store in Lethbridge that has a lot of variety in aquarium plants, but I really don't want to go back there if I don't have to.

I'd prlly put fish in it eventually, maybe guppies or tetras. Or maybe just something to eat algae. There's a couple algae-eaters I'd love to have and can't because they're agressive or get too big or will strip my fish of their slime coat =P
Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #254 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ooh like what?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #255 
Syriiven

I reeeaaally like this guy http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo

But not sure. I mean, I dont want a whole nother 30g tank, and I dont know how long he'd be in it.

I'd adore something colorful, like fancy guppies, but I'm worried about them being disease ridden, you know? My Nana would insist on tetras but I dont know if I'm keen on them. PLus none of those are algae eaters.

So meh...not sure now.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #256 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

"The Pictus Catfish has very sharp pectoral and dorsal spine that can cause painful injures if not handled properly."

Yea... That's no bueno. They look neat though. I have a few guppies and when mine have babies I will gladly give you a couple, they will be disease free. They breed like rabbits. In a planted tank you could try your hand at otos.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #257 
Syriiven

I'll consider the guppies if they're from you or somene I know =)

But now I'm thinking -- newts! Why don't I see them in people's tanks anymore? Mom had two firebelly newts in with our four goldfish, pleco and ADF when we were younger.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #258 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Newts would be so fun! I don't know much about them though. Don't tell your mom I said this but she is not very good at stocking a tank lol.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #259 
Syriiven

-shrugs- it was a big tank and there weren't any problems between the fish. Lasted for years. But then again she was going by what the fish store told her, and at that age I wasn't 'into' the hobby. So I certainly didnt know any better.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #260 
Syriiven

NPT vs Newts

So. I had the plan of making a 20g NPT for plant species I could later share with my other tanks.

But I've also been considering the fun of adding something to the NPT - not bettas. And eventually that lead to me wanting fire-bellied newts.

But if I got newts, I'd have to get plants that survive in colder water, like anubia and java and whatnot, not so much hornwart or pennywort.

But if I got newts, it'd give me an excuse to make a land/water scape including a small waterfall filter and so on. It'd be fun.

But then plants taken from that tank would need to be reptile/amphibian sterilized and very slowly conditioned to any of the betta tanks.

But newts are awsm! But then I'd HAVE to do water changes every 1-2 weeks, and full on sterilization. =S

So what should I do? With ten tanks I take care of currently, should I go with an easy NPT, or add something to it and keep it strictly an NPT/Newt tank, but not share the plants with the other tanks?