Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #321 
logisticsguy

Im sad your going through this and can relate to how much it sucks. Im just curious because I have been doing some research...did you feed any bloodworms brine shrimp, glassworms ect. frozen or freeze dried in the days before she started getting sick? Sorry to be nosy. I may have a preventive product. Im working on getting more info about that is a water additive non chemical and not very expensive. We are going to be testing it on a few of my tanks.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #322 
Syriiven

SanFransisco Bay Brand Frozen bloodworms (the only brand available to me) and omega one buffet pellets. Though I was definitely overfeeding in both, especially in the sorority =/

So while I think it is possible I had a bad cube of worms, only two fish are sick (so far), and I'm still pretty sure it's my overfeeding that caused the problems.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #323 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Now might be the time to pm Sakura. Can you up the Epsom salts?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #324 
Syriiven

Idont thin i'm sposed to go beyond 2 tsp per gal.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #325 
Sakura8

Hi Syriiven, I only skimmed through this (33 pgs!) but it sounds like Amaterasu has dropsy symptoms?

Just to clarify, dropsy is a symptom or condition but not an actual disease. Its scientific term is ascites. While the most common cause of dropsy symptoms is a buildup of fluid in the body cavity, bloating and pineconing can be caused by egginess in females, constipation, overfeeding, even just plain old indigestion. A heavy load of internal parasites can also cause dropsy symptoms.

What I last read on pg 30 or so was she was pineconed but acting normally without gray belly or lethargy? Is she still that way or has she worsened?

Either way, what I recommend first and foremost is to remove the Maracyn Two. I know the box says it deals specifically with dropsy symptoms and I myself used to recommend it for dropsy but I have since learned that it can actually WORSEN dropsy symptoms that are caused by kidney infections. The medicine in Maracyn Two is very hard on kidneys and when the kidneys are in distress already, this is not what you want. True, Amaterasu may not have dropsy because of a kidney problem but kidney infections are far and away the leading cause of dropsy.

Next, get her into 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon and use the tea you have prepared. Make sure the air is humid in her tank, using saran wrap on top with some holes poked in it if necessary.

For a possible kidney infection, the best medication to use is Seachem Kanaplex but it almost always must be ordered online. The med itself is not that costly ($7 at most, I think) but shipping can be a bear. The reason Kanaplex works so well is because it absorbs well into the system so it can target internal problems. Most of the antibiotics readily available do not absorb and are only good for topical infections.

If you can't or don't wish to use meds, continue with the epsom salt and tea treatment for as long as necessary.

Do you think you have a possible cause pinpointed?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #326 
AyalaCookiejar

The garlic in NLS is actually a natural preventative for parasites. Just throwing that out there.

Edit: she beat me to it.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #327 
Syriiven

Wow, umm...okay. They're both no Maracyn 2 so that's a lot of water to change over but that's fine! So long as I have some idea to go on here. I didn't realize Maracyn 2 was that hard on them. I'll switch it out...

I also have them on General Cure (since both abdomens are swollen), and 2 tsp per gal in both tanks. I can up that with the water change, no problem.

I will be getting NLS later this month, unfortunately it's no available to me either, and I've tried ordering online. So end of the month is the quickest it can happen currently.

I will do those water changes now to get rid of the maracyn 2.

As for cause...I've made the mistake of being generous with food (bloodworms and omega one pellets) and I believe these two were bloated for a few days before I saw the pineconing. That being said, since I saw the bloat, I stopped feeding them, wanting them to digest and defecate. That hasn't really happened.

Edit:: and yes, she's not gray bellied but floating at the surface - I dont want to say she's lethargic, because when ever I check on her she gets very active, and she moves to a different spot under and around the floaty plant I have in her qt every once in a while. It makes me think she's more uncomfortable with the bloat rather than lethargic...

Last edited by Syriiven; 04-02-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #328 
Sakura8

Hi Syriiven. General Cure is okay if they're still in it. The medication in General Cure, metronidazole, is both effective for internal parasites but it can also possibly be effective for some internal bacterial infections. It absorbs well into the system so keeping them on it until the end of its recommended dosage won't hurt.

Yeah, for a very long time I had no idea Maracyn Two was so hard on the kidneys either. That's why I used to recommend it for dropsy cases. :/

I'll go back and read the pages I missed too, to fill myself in on the details. Sounds like another girl has come down with this too so it's most likely not due to egginess or constipation. I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #329 
Syriiven

The second is actually a boy. She;s been floating in his tank to keep her at the right temp. And I've been very careful to not let any of her water get into his, so I don't really think he got it from her. Like I've said, they've been bloated since Sunday.

When you said tea...I have no idea what you mean? Do you mean I should add a fresh IALeaf?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #330 
Sakura8

Yes. Sorry, I thought you were using green tea for your source of tannins but if you have IAl, that's even better. Yes, make sure you keep the IAL in there too because it has some antimicrobial properties that may help.