Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #381 
Syriiven

There's no garuntee the kanaplex would've saved them either. From my personal experience and seeing others deal with it...dropsy really does seem like a death sentence, despite the few who have saved their fish.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #382 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea, I know. That's why it's so depressing watching them go through it. Kanalplex might have helped... Once they pine cone there's not much you can do I guess. I'm sorry you have to go through this.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #383 
Syriiven

Just checked on them again...she re-positioned herself, but not moving much beyond sitting with her mouth at the surface to breathe. She's so swollen...I am so sorry my baby girl =(
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #384 
Skyewillow

I'm so sorry, Syr.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #385 
AyalaCookiejar

That's the thing about dropsy, though. The only real sign is pineconing, and the pineconing happens AFTER most of the damage has been done.

I always say that if you happen to have Epsom salt, metro, AND Kanaplex on hand and start treatment as soon as you see pineconing they have the greatest survival chance they can get, but its still not 100% fool proof. We also came to the conclusion that my little Okami didn't have as strong of genetics as my other girls because she was the only one who got sick after the power outage. But it happens, I guess. Bahari didn't get sick from it but he obviously has some horrible genetics.

I wish I could help her and Seiya. But at least if bad comes to worse, she'll be able to let go and her, Demi and Okami will be swimming together under the rainbow bridge in that giant peaceful sorority. I imagine that without a physical body, no one feels pain or discomfort, and there will be plenty of other girls up there for them to meet and swim around with, but also plenty of space, perfect water params, and all the live food they could dream of. You never know, maybe they will meet a fishy soul mate up there? I bet they'd make some beautiful fry and Demi no longer has any deformities and their scales will finally lay flat, Okami's fins are healed.

I hate it that animals have such a short life span. I am always worried about my dog because he's almost seven and his expected life span is pretty much half over :(

But enough about my dog (wow, I stray off-topic too easily). Someday we will get to meet them all again, even my very first Betta who somehow lived a year in my clueless care. Animals are not like us. They are always forgiving and forever loyal.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #386 
Syriiven

So very true. I've lost a few over my life and it hits hardest I think because pets will always look at you, listen to you, and want your love. They arent busy with their FAcebook or video games, they're always ready to enjoy your company.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #387 
Syriiven

I do have some good news, not related to Amaterasu and Seiya though.

Ryuu-ten, my veiltail in the chi tank, hasnt blown me a nest since we brought him home end of February. He also sits in his tank beside the window, so he has natural lighting, and sometimes birds entertain him, or he watches TV with us. But to make sure he gets fishie interaction, I set a mirror against his tank for him to flare at and 'defend' his territory from for 15 minutes at a time.

So finally, he must've felt confident about scaring off the 'other fish' tonight, because he started making an actual nest. =) Hoping it stays solid. Hope he keeps up with it....until I have to change his water tomorrow ^^;

I am very proud of him, though. He had curled fins in his cup and I havent really seen any sign of his ventrals straightening or growing out, so he may look gibbled for life. He was clearly in some cup somewhere for far too long.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #388 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He's a nice fish! At least hs issues are harmless, just aesthetic. I'm going to add a nice new one to my chi soon hopefully. I just wish they would have included a heater in the design. Does he have tankmates?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #389 
Syriiven

No, though I've been thinking about maybe getting him a nerite.

Eventually when I have my betta condo shelf set up, I'll move him to my desk in here so he gets definite interaction from me and he might notice Eranikus below him. I'll be moving Slyph to the betta shelf to hangout with Kalec.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #390 
Syriiven

Both lethargic now, Seiya wouldnt eat any more than one pellet, Amaterasu wouldt eat at all. Seiya's a little spikier today.