Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #21 
killuhnation

Talking jack dempseys? other questions..

i kept reading online that you weren't supposed to have more than one in a tank. i had 2, went to the fish store and they told me i could add more, so i bought one more.. they are fairly small, biggest being 1 to 2 inches and he's the prettiest (he i hope) anyways how many jack dempseys can be in a tank?? their is also one firemouth (other died lastnight which is why i replaced it with a dempsey i dont really like the firemouth) and 2 convict cichlid male and female, and also 5 africans... ive read not to mix them, but keep in mind i bought all these fish from 1 store and they said i could. they are all in a 20 gallon cluttered with objects for them to hide in, and i have a 55 gallon i am working on setting up but have to get substrate first.. they are all going in there. and i wont add any more for now lol but eventually i will.. i cant stop. i think my questions are: are 3 jack dempseys okay? and if i was to add another type of fish, what kind... and should i get another firemouth for the one i have?
killuhnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #22 
DragonFish

You know, you can always still plan to breed later.....breeding is definitely something you don't want to rush into anyway, it is quite a huge investment in both money and time. You can always just spend time reading up and doing your research, slowly collecting all the needed supplies. :)

Awesome! Can't wait to see more pictures!!

o.o Oh my.....you've really gotten yourself into quite a mess with those Cichlids. My goodness...
I was into these guys before I got into bettas, so hopefully I can help a little....
First of all, stop listening to this petstore as they don't have any clue what they're doing it sounds and DEFINITELY don't get any more fish! If you want this to work out, you are going to have to give away a few already or set up a whole other large tank.

Now, one thing that is very important to remember with cichlids is that they are VERY aggressive, but often a little calmer and more tolerant of tank mates when young. But they DO grow and they DO grow decently quickly, so when buying cichlids its very important to consider the ADULT size and temperament of the species you're getting.
Unless you've got something massive, like up in the 80-100 gallon range, its never a good idea to keep two Jacks. They may not get as big as Oscars, but its kinda the same deal stocking fish with them. You're going to either want to rehome/return those other two Jacks or setup something huge for them.

Second of all, Africans and South American Cichlids....NOT a good mix. Completely different sides of the world, COMPLETELY different water chemistry requirements. If you try to keep them both in the same setup, in the long term, one or both species will suffer. Its best to either get another 40-55 or pick one species and rehome/return the other.

I'm not entirely sure how well the Jack will even do with the Firemouth and the Convicts, that might still be a little much for the 55 on its own. Definitely check out and ask the people on TFK here in this section for a little more detailed information on that:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/

Please, please get all that straightened away and do a little more research on what you have before you think about even considering getting any more cichlids. :/
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #23 
killuhnation

LOL i know... i definately wont get any more.. they all get along so far, and they had the convicts and baby jacks in the same tank when i bought them.... along with a pretty nice sized convict female and huge jack so i KNOW they get decent sized but like 2 or 3 employees really told me it was okay... all i have is a 55, and an empty 39 gallon... and the 20 gallon will be free when the jacks go in the 55, so maybe the africans could go in the 39 since they dont get AS big.... they told me all the fish on the one wall could go together, even the oscars and the jacks... so ive done my research, went bck and told them and they still said i could have all of what i have in the 55... granted they did tell me to quit buying fish for it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #24 
killuhnation

and thank you for answering im kinda lost on this as far as how to get my post in the correct spot and it seen..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #25 
DragonFish

Well, like I said, those people clearly have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and they really have no business advising people.....but sadly that is the reality of just about every pet store, which is why its ALWAYS best to take any advice from ANY employee with a grain of salt and do you're own very extensive research.
Its definitely not at all your fault though. Its the pet stores fault for poorly educating their employees. They should NEVER have sold you this mix of fish and told you they would be okay together. But, now you've got this mess and you gotta try and sort this out....its really a shame. I wish pet stores would properly educate their employees. :/

Anywho....you definitely want to find out what species of Africans you've got. They can be a little difficult to identify, but TFK can help out. Some come from different lakes and some get larger then others....but provided they're all from the same lake and get about the same size, they SHOULD do okay in the 39(again, probably want to ask TFK....they know much more then I do, I'm a little fuzzy on some of the details, its been a long time) as far as I understand. Probably want to get that all set up for them.

I'm sure they are all getting along now, they're all babies, but once they start growing and hit adolescence/adulthood you could end up with a bloodbath on your hands if you don't stock properly.
Also, its again important to remember that not only are Pet stores and their employees poorly educated, but what they keep their fish in and what other fish they keep with them are temporary conditions and often the fish are always very young.....that doesn't always mean that because two species come from the same tank in the store that they will be suitable tank mates as they get older.

Anyway, I do know for certain you are going to end up with a lot of trouble if you try more then one Jack in the 55....so see if they will take back at least the newest one you bought if they won't take both. Generally most stores have a 1-2 week return policy. You may need to advertise to find another home for the other Jack, or look around for another large 50 gallonish tank for him.
About the others and the Jack....definitely want to do some extra research and asking about that. The only Jacks I've ever dealt with were the one my dad had alone in a 46 bow(AWESOME fish, I miss that guy sometimes)and the very old one in a 90 half-circle display tank along with a few other large SA fish species, but there were no other cichlids I don't think in that mix.

And you're very welcome hun, its no trouble. :) I would really hate to see your setups not work out, for your fish to not be as happy as they could be, and/or for you to have a bad fish keeping experience because of pet store ignorance....thats what this forum is all about anyway! xD
In my previous post I liked you directly to our parent websites Cichlid section, which has a lot of much more cichlid-experienced members then me who can probably answer your questions and advise you a little better, if you haven't already, it would be a good idea to post a thread there. :)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #26 
killuhnation

i know it looks small, because it is small... but ill have them in the 55 gallon by a week? they should be okay right, or should i go ahead and put them in the 39? also included another pic of my tiki man :)
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #27 
killuhnation

and i did post a thread in the other thing btw i havent gotten much response so im relying on u for the moment
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #28 
DragonFish

Well, it looks to me as if you're making do with what you've got at the moment in that tank, which is good. ;) In situations like that, you gotta do what you gotta do until you can get things sorted out.
Thankfully they're all still young right now, so so long as you get them separated and moved into their own setups soonish you're good. Of course, moving them as soon as you possibly can isn't a bad idea.

Depending on what your water chemistry is like, you may need to set the 39 up with some crushed coral substrate to bring up the PH for the africans....have you looked into anything like that yet? Also, from what I understand, they tend to prefer an array of rocks like slate and lava rock stacked up to make a lit of caves and crevices rather then plants or driftwood like the SAs might like, so maybe look into picking up some of those to set up in the 39. :)

Hmm...I would think there would be more members answering you on there. D: I'm sorry. Maybe they're just not quite seeing it? If you still haven't gotten any good answers in a couple of days, maybe post something in the general fish section of TFK, or I could link you to a couple of Cichlid specific forums though PM if you'd like? I remember I used to be a member of a couple that were very helpful.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #29 
killuhnation

i think im going to put the africans in the 39 and the jacks in the 55.. im working on getting all the materials i need but most of the good stuff was meant for only the 55 seeing as how i thought this would work out.. but im gonna have to get another lid for the 39 and everything.. jeez. its a mess... i have a pretty big platy tank, its 39 gallon too i think if i am getting these sizes right.. i was always successful with those and still am so i figured these wouldnt be a big deal... but they are.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #30 
DragonFish

Oh yes, it definitely is a mess....sadly, not all fish are quite as easy to take care of as Platys! Ah, if only!

Yes, definitely look into setting up an African-specific tank in the 39....your Africans will really appreciate it. ;)
Have you asked the store about taking back two of the Jacks? Or found any other way to rehome them? More then one even in a 55 is going to be trouble here pretty soon....