Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #1 
LittleBlueFishlets

Rant, new fish, and 3 questions

The water in the betta cups at (Petstore name) today was such a dark blue color that I couldn't see much of the fish inside. I asked an employee about this.

She took the cup out of my hand, dumped the blue stuff into a bucket, plopped the cup into a nearby fish tank to fill it, and handed me back the cup.

The poor fish had turned almost white, with dark stress lines, and was gasping and shivering. (I have no idea what the water temp was in that tank!) At that point, it didn't matter what the fish looked like - he was going home with me.

He's now in my one gallon "spare" tank, until I can pick up a 3 gallon tomorrow. I put a heater in it, and I'm monitoring the temperature to make sure it doesn't spike. (It's currently at 80F.)

So my questions are:
1) Is there anything I need to do to make sure he's OK? He seems to be recovering from the shock of getting what was either a cold bath, or a hot one.
2) Could there have been anything icky in that tank water that I need to protect him against?
3) What was put in his cup to make the water such a dark blue? I'm assuming it's just a general preventative, but I'm curious as to what it was.

Thanks!

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 11-30-2012 at 12:52 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I can't tell you exactly what they use that make the water blue, but I think it's supposed to be something helpful, haha.

Make sure he doesn't have any symptoms of sickness. It's okay to use the one gallon for now until you are sure he doesn't have anything that will contaminate the 3 gallon tank. Look for clamped fins, finrot, swimming at the bottom or floating at the top, not eating, paleness, anything that doesn't seem "right". Just make sure that he has clean warm water and enough decorations to hide out in and rest on to make him feel safer, and he should do okay.

There is a big possibility that there could be contaminates in the water they added to his cup, especially if you happened to see any sick looking or dead fish in the water. Most likely, the most dangerous of it would be high ammonia, so as long as you keep up on water changes and have him in fresh, clean, conditioned water now, there's not a big reason to worry.

Definitely keep an eye on his behavior and the temperature, but if nothing is out of the ordinary, it may just take a little time to regain color and strength.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #3 
pittipuppylove

*sigh* Most fish store employees... But congrats on your new fish! I'm not all that experienced, but I'd think that warm, clean water in a tank bigger than those little store cups is probably your best bet (or at least a good place to start).

It's hard to say about the water - it could have been pretty nasty and full of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, but that would be taken care of when you moved him to the clean tank. I honestly don't know if there's anything else in there that you need to worry about.

The blue stuff is a medication called Methylene Blue - many pet stores will add it to betta cups as a "preventative" measure. However, I personally think that it's a way to mask that the fish may be sick or to skimp on water changes. And in the long run, prolonged exposure to the stuff can do more harm than good (same as most medications - good when it's needed and used properly, but can be harmful if used improperly).
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #4 
Butterfly

ugh makes me really upset but I can't have another fish :(

I went to petco the other day to get some bloodworms and one had a swim bladder problem and the other's top fin was nearly falling off because of fin rot....
They are understaffed and the staff is less than mediocre -_- If I worked there I would be treating all the bettas.

Want to go back and drop some aq salt in the little guy's cup. Unfortunately, who knows when they change them >.< there were a few kings that were in YELLOW brown water ugh.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #5 
Butterfly

I would put some aq salt and stress coat in. keep an eye on him.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I disagree with adding any aquarium salt if you aren't sure that he's sick. It mostly sounds like he just needs warm, clean water. A lot of times, this can fix a lot of problems without the need for aquarium salt treatments. When used a lot or incorrectly it can just make things worse. Just update if he shows any other signs of sickness.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I can't tell you exactly what they use that make the water blue, but I think it's supposed to be something helpful, haha.

Make sure he doesn't have any symptoms of sickness. It's okay to use the one gallon for now until you are sure he doesn't have anything that will contaminate the 3 gallon tank. Look for clamped fins, finrot, swimming at the bottom or floating at the top, not eating, paleness, anything that doesn't seem "right". Just make sure that he has clean warm water and enough decorations to hide out in and rest on to make him feel safer, and he should do okay.

There is a big possibility that there could be contaminates in the water they added to his cup, especially if you happened to see any sick looking or dead fish in the water. Most likely, the most dangerous of it would be high ammonia, so as long as you keep up on water changes and have him in fresh, clean, conditioned water now, there's not a big reason to worry.

Definitely keep an eye on his behavior and the temperature, but if nothing is out of the ordinary, it may just take a little time to regain color and strength.
He seems to be OK right now. He actually seems less stressed in the 1 gallon tank than he did in the cup. (Which makes sense, if it was filled with nasty water.) He has a silk plant, and two hiding spots. (I couldn't fit a lot in there.)

Should I get something like API Stress Coat for him?

Based on the comments, I'll hold off on the salt. Right now, he doesn't seem sick, just stressed.

So much for sleep tonight. I'm staying awake keeping an eye on my new fish!

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 11-30-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post

The blue stuff is a medication called Methylene Blue - many pet stores will add it to betta cups as a "preventative" measure.
What is it supposed to "prevent?"

It sure made it difficult to see the fish inside. (And I had *no* idea that the employee was going to do what she did to "solve" the issue. )

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 11-30-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Its hard to tell what it's supposed to prevent. Maybe they just add it to every sickly looking fish hoping it will do something to help them.. Most preventatives are used to treat more than one thing. IMO they wouldn't need it at all if they kept their water warm and clean.

I have never actually used stress coat, I just use water conditioner. If he is doing okay (and better than he was) you may not need to do anything except keep his water clean and warm. In most cases, giving them something better than a cold, tiny, dirty cup will suffice unless they are suffering from finrot or swimbladder or something of the sort. It's amazing what you can do for them when you just give them proper conditions. It is the single best remedy for almost everything that can go wrong with your fishies.

Once he seems to have recovered from the stress of the horrible conditions he was in, you can surely add him to the bigger tank and have fun decorating it for him with tall silk or real plants and some hiding places.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #10 
Myates

Ugh, hate when people do that..

Methylene Blue is an indiscriminate treatment... it's primarily used as a preventative against superficial fungal infections of fish. It is an alternative to Malachite Green for fungus control.. it is effective against some external protozoans, such as Ich, Chilodonella and Costia. Most places will stress it is best as a preventative.
Some people swear by it, others don't.. haven't heard anything too bad about it (I hate medication in general), other than it is toxic to plants.

It sounds as if he went into osmotic shock possibly from the quick change of the water pH/chemistry/temp.. if he isn't gasping anymore and is active then I think he got lucky and pulled out of it, poor fella :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote