3 days ago, I fulfilled my long time wish to own beta fishes once again after 12 years of my last beta fishes. I bought 2 blue nearly identical colored beta fish, 1 confirmed male and another one looks like female but then i don't see any egg spot visible between the ventral and anal fin but it does own smaller fins and shorter body. Kept them both in separate mini aquariums.
So few hours ago when i were about to change their water, I was determined to let em' meet together in one tank..So it goes like this:
1. They flare at each other for a couple minutes
2. The female back away and hide (White stripe visible on her [stressed])
3. The male keep on flaring at her
So i took the male off the tank and put him back to his..After sometime he starts to look lazy, bored and keep on gasping, floating in the corner of his tank. He wasn't even flaring to his mirror reflection anymore.
I thought it might be because of the new water i replaced into his tank, so i take him and put him back into the female tank (which i haven't change the water yet) So the result changed:
1. He back away from the female
2. The female flare at him few times and then stop completely!
So i put them both now back to the male tank (new changed water)
1. The female seems very comfortable now after few minutes with the male (she turn from stressed white stripe visible back to bluish red)
2. Male still gasping and not flaring at all
3. Female is playful as always swimming here and there and the male is now like dormant and weak..
What actually happened?
The male turned soft and gasping?
Female now like doesn't acknowledge the male existence in the tank.
No water problem?
I read somewhere that after we separate male and female especially after breed, the male will sulk, bored and even let themselves go and die! But now that i put em' together again, nothing changed..He looks very blank..