Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #1 
NikiWay

Bubble above eye, fin rot, fungus? somehow still alive!?

I am to the point that I have no idea what to do for my betta, Jeff.
I've had him almost a year, but for the past two months he's become very sickly and everything I have tried hasn't helped!!!

He started with a random blister/bubble ABOVE his eye. His eye did not enlarge. It is impairing his vision on his right side

So I asked advice and added aquarium salt. When that did nothing, I separated him into qt tank and did an epsom soak for what seems like forever at this point. That did nothing so I decided to let him back into his 20 gallon tank so he could die in his home with his best friend, Hermes, the clown pleco.

Throughout this period of his developing eye he developed some fin-loss which I assumed was fin-rot and he had some fuzzy growth around the damaged fin. So I treated with first Maracyn-Two then Maroxy. none helped with the random fuzzy growth.

He did well for a while until he got stuck in the stupid filter intake thing. I thought he was dead when I woke up and saw him wrapped around the intake part. But alas, when I turned it off he scooted around the gravel so I scooped him up and put him in a tupperware container until I could get him in qt again!

So now he has a bubble over his eye, and practically NO FINS! I do not know the names but his back tail was nothing but shreds, which fell off in qt tank over the course of a few days, and his stomach tail was shredded pretty bad as well, but it's still visible!

I have been doing water changes every day with aquarium salt and Prime. Today however, I hadn't done a water change in two days and there was an insane amount of fuzzy gunk all over his tank, and a large chunk on his top fin/back. I had to do a 100% change and decided to go back to using "BettaSafe" since the Prime is difficult to measure out for the 1.5 gallon tank!

I will try to add pictures of what I saw today so maybe someone can give me some ideas as to what I can try for him!

Although, I have been thinking it may be best to euthanize him even though it would be devastating to do so. But I'd like to try to see him pull through! His stomach tail has been growing back nicely, but his back beautiful portion is nothing but a nub still.

Maybe this link will work:
http://s1085.beta.photobucket.com/us...i/library/Jeff
NikiWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 Filll this out.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 
NikiWay

Housing
What size is your tank? QT = 1.5
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? QT = No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? QT = No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? QT = None - normal 20 = Clown Pleco and a Young Platy fry.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bites, Tetra Betta, Freeze-dried blood worms, shrimp and a flake food and another that I can't remember but it's not a pellet and not flaked.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 time a day 1-2.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Right now every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Right now about 50-75% but sometimes 100% when needed.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Normally Prime but went back to BettaSafe due to fear of overdosing. Aquarium Salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I haven't tested the QT tank

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Blister above eye, fins shredded/missing with fuzzy stuff attached.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's less active, and just hangs out at the top of the tank. He still eats.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Bubble eye... October. Random fin damage around the same time.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've done Epsom salt, Maracyn-Two, Maroxy.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him a year.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am concerned you have a placo there.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #5 
NikiWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I am concerned you have a placo there.
Why? He's really small, and have had him and Jeff together since pretty much forever when I got him in January of 2012. They've had no issues in the first 10 gallon tank, and the 20 gallon is long, so there's a ton of ground territory.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is he in the 1.5 gallon? http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Clown_Pleco
Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #7 
NikiWay

Quote:
My clown pleco is in a 20 gallon tank. My betta is in the 1.5 gallon because he is sick and it's easier to change the water.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Whoops sorry. I would add IAL.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #9 
NikiWay

Quote:
Whoops sorry. I would add IAL.
It's cool! I just ordered some online, but it wont be here for 5-7 days >.<

I'm sure Jeff will still be alive though! He's the little fish who could!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I added IAL and Carter got even Healthier.