Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #1 
sainthogan

epsom salts and plants

Is it ok to use epsom salts in a planted tank? My new guy is still struggling with a swim bladder issue and I've decided to try putting epsom salts directly in his tank (dissolved of course). It's actually not officially planted yet, it just has a plant bulb that hasn't sprouted yet. Is this ok? Or should I take the plant bulb out and put in something else for a while?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 
pittipuppylove

Dunno if it goes for all salts, but increasing the salinity of the water is typically bad for plants. If I remember my plant biology correctly, excess salt can cause the plant cells to swell and burst, killing the plant. I'd probably remove the bulb or move the fish to a seperate tank for treatment.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #3 
Myates

Epsom salt is gentle enough that it won't harm the plants at all - they can live in the Epsom salt indefinitely.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote