Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #1 
choclover

plants arrived cold.... in mail

My plants came from aquaticmagic in the mail, (I live in Ontario) via canada post. They are cold,
My Java fern leaves are awet dark dark green and translucent,the roots look healthy still, I put in tepid water.
My Xmas moss looks green with very little browning but cold.
Are they still alive?, what should I do now? If the leaves die on the Java fern and roots look OK, will new leaves grow?If they survive,do I quaratine them before putting in Betta tank?

Please help
choclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #2 
Nothingness

I think its one of those just wait and see kinda things. You have them in a quaratine tank which is a good chance to see what happens without effecting your main tank. Fingers crossed and ust remember that plants want to live so if there is any life left in them they will find a way to grow and thrive
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 
choclover

Yes, they are quarantined, each in their own bowl,in case 1 plant has snails and the other does not(I do not want snail yet), is the rule of thumb 3 weeks quarantine?
I am, presuming they need heat and proper light during quarantine time, just like as if they were in designated tank?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Your plants are always going to arrive in cold water. Unless you pay extra for the heat packs, they're going to be cold.
Keep and eye on them. If they're not healthy by 3 weeks. I'd QT them until they get nice and green.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 11-30-2012 at 06:40 PM.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 
babystarz

The moss should recover, I bought several kinds of moss from aquaticmagic that arrived almost totally dead and they all made a full recovery. The java fern leaves might fall off, but as long as the rhizome is healthy it'll send out new ones. Just remember not to bury it :)

3 weeks for quarantine is pretty standard. And yes they do need heat and light, especially after being in that dark box.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 
choclover

THX babystarz for your help
The rhizome does look healthy and there is quite a bit of roots. Actually they were delivered in an envelope, no bubble wrap or box......lol......
this sounds encouraging......waiting is sooo hard to do
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #7 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclover View Post
THX babystarz for your help
The rhizome does look healthy and there is quite a bit of roots. Actually they were delivered in an envelope, no bubble wrap or box......lol......
this sounds encouraging......waiting is sooo hard to do
Haha I know how you feel. You should see a lot of improvement on all the plants within 3 weeks though. And if they do end up dead, I know aquaticmagic is really good about sending replacements to keep her customers happy, so don't hesitate to contact her.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote