Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

You are doing it the right way, The people who keep them in small unheated bows may have fish that live longer but their fish are certinly NOT happy or healthy. I think they do live longer simply because their metabolism is slower due to the cold water - like a bear's metabloism is slower in the winter during hibernation.

You are NOT failing since you are here on this site. Alot of us on here got here simply because we needed help with a sickly fish and that is how we learned how to PROPERLY care for them. Personally, I killed 5 before I found this site trying to find why they would die in less then 24 hours. I assumed all I needed was water and a fish - didnt know about water conditioner or that even with a filter I needed to change the water.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Quote:
The tank was set up and running a week before I got him. I added live plants before I got hmm as well. Everything seemed good. And I thought it was time to add him in. I took my time with the tank and did not rush it I thought I would just let it run till I found the beta that I liked. And a week later I did.
I have a gravel vac which I used to do the water change, really easy to use.
Without testing the water, it's hard to say if an ammonia or nitrite spike is the cause or not. There might be something else going on. Does he have any physical changes on his body such as white spots, something that looks like fuzz or anything like that?
also this one might seem odd but have ou noticed his poop lately? If so, it is brown and cinnamon bun looking (which is normal) or is it white and stringy which may indicate internal parasites?

It wouldn't hurt to do another small water change - maybe about 25%?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-01-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #13 
shellieca
Reference Team

The fact is very few Bettas or fish in general can live healthy lives in an unfiltered small volume of water without proper water changes. They may be existing but not healthy, happy living. Bettas & Goldfish are advertised & sold as easy fish who can live in a small bowl with few water changes & its just not true. You are not alone in getting misinformation & thinking it true, 95% of us started out the wrong way. Setting up a tank & letting the filter run for a week does not cycle the tank so that its safe for fish, even though the instructions say let it run 24 hrs & then add fish. I suspect your water parameters; ammonia especially are what is causing your fish to be ill as well as the too cool water, do as recommended & he'll most likely bounce back.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The temp is too cold and get rid of the plastic plant. The tall plant you have does not look aquatic. I would do 2 50 percent weekly.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki22 View Post
Honestly I don't understand I see people all the time who keep bettas in little bowls with no heat or filtration and they live for years... and when I try to do the right thing I fail..... how does this happen....?
In a Bowl a Betta avergaes 2-3 years old. In a Tank heated and filtered 3-5 years old. Even 7-8 rarely and extremely rare is ten years.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #16 
Loki22

Thank u all so much for clearing that up or me. Since I've done the 50% change he's been going a lot better. He even jumped out of the container when he got stronger!
Oo and the heater that I have is 50 watts. How high of wattage should I get instead?
The live plants in there are a combo plant. Anubis on a lava rock, a moss ball and an Aqua fern.
No I don't see any fuzziness on him or anything like that. I. Think It was prob the ammonia spike......
Loki22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
The fact is very few Bettas or fish in general can live healthy lives in an unfiltered small volume of water without proper water changes. They may be existing but not healthy, happy living. Bettas & Goldfish are advertised & sold as easy fish who can live in a small bowl with few water changes & its just not true. You are not alone in getting misinformation & thinking it true, 95% of us started out the wrong way. Setting up a tank & letting the filter run for a week does not cycle the tank so that its safe for fish, even though the instructions say let it run 24 hrs & then add fish. I suspect your water parameters; ammonia especially are what is causing your fish to be ill as well as the too cool water, do as recommended & he'll most likely bounce back.
Bettas and goldfish in proper care are easy to care for.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #18 
Loki22

Well Goldfish deffinitly need cycled water, not only for the filtration ( they are the dirtiest fish ) but also because they need oxigenated water, which the filter helps with, as well as a bubble system.
but Betta's have a Lymbrinth organ that allows them to breathe our air, without the needed bubble system. but also what i dont understand is nativly Betta's live in small rice fields, where the water is staginated. Dont they do better in water that does not have alot of current? iv had betta's before this one, and i have had this tank much longer than i have had him, and for months my betta's have done fine and then this happens. although i did not know that i needed to still do water changes weekly.

HTML Code:
The tank might of experienced an ammonia or nitrIte spike which can be very unhealthy/deadly for fish depending on how high the levels are. (I was clueless with my first betta and petco told me if I had a filter I never had to change the water :shock: - never listen to petshop employees is rule numero uno)
It had to have been the ammonia spike. and i have to say that i also work at petco, i have for 3 years, but what we learn there is after getting tank -set up and running, let the water run with the filter for 7-10 days. that gets the nitrogen cycle started. come back with a water sample which we test the water for free, and see where the levels are. if everything seems good then we recomend the customer get 2 or 3 fish to start out ( depending on the size tank they start with ). and do another water sample 3 weeks after, assuming all goes well. ultimitly tho it all depends on the size of the tank. not all employees are bad we just do not get all the information. but iv always recomended even with betta's to get the tanks with the filter, even if its a 2 gal. but i usually recomend tanks larger than 1 gal. Aqueon tanks of the best ( quote quote ) kits that we sell. and we now carry heaters for even the smallest of tanks. iv learned to be careful that information that i hear.
infact i have one co-worker who only changes her Betta water every 6 months, a 2.5 gal without a filter! i really do not know how her betta is still alive. but she swears by this care, no matter what anyone says. i cant get her to change her mind.

anyways what wattage heater should i get for my 5 gal? when i already have a 50 watt thats not doing the job. not a 100 watt right?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #19 
Tikibirds

See, I told you not to trust petco employees :P (don't hurt me).

For 5 gallons you should have 25 watts as it takes 5 watts to heat up 1 gallon. Adjustable ones are best, preset ones don;t heat too well.

When I got most of my supplies, I lived in Alaska and the only petshop was Petco which was way overpriced and had a small selection. I got most of mine on ebay or amazon. I have a vasiety of older models I got used and for cheap off ebay. Marineland stealth shatterproof 25 watt and Marineland neptune 25 watt I find work the best but I think they were discontinued a long time ago.

Hagen elite's are pretty nice and they are short so they fit in smaller tanks
http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-511330

Gah. Goldfish - my sister had 5 in a 10 gallon tank and refused to listen to me about why they died. maybe because she changed the water once every 5 months? Now she has 2 in a 20Gallon..I guess that's an improvement.

Quote:
Since I've done the 50% change he's been going a lot better. He even jumped out of the container when he got stronger!
I'm glad he is doing better :) If you do decide to cycle the tank, just follow oldfishlady's instructions and you should be fine :) With her instructions, you don't need to buy the test kits. I have them but I only use the ammonia test to see what the ammonia level is in the cup when I get a new betta. One poor Petco crowntail had an ammonia level so high, it didn't even register on the API liquid test!

But they are fighters in more then one way:

Ok, I'm done posting irrelavent pictures of my fish on your thread. Well, Its not THAT irrelevent as he was deffidently suffering from ammonia poisioning.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-03-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #20 
Loki22

Wow what a difference on your betta! He looks great!
I've learned to be really careful who to trust. I learned that the hard way with my last beta when the same girl gave me 5 mini corry cats and told me they would do fine in my 5 gal. With my betta. Well it killed my beta and 3 of the corries. Never again will I trust her. But I do have 2 other coworkers who are great with keeping fish. They sure top notch with their research but they just do not know indept about betta's.
We all have our own experience and expertese with different creatures. Mine is hermit crabs ( those of you on the Hermitcrabassociation I love this site to ;). )

I'm deffinitly going to cycle the tank and get a better heater. Thank you all so much!