Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 
ANHEL123

Are these readings safe for betta?

Hey everyone, i just saw this post on yahoo. Can someone help so i can give advice? I don't check my water and i don't cycle so i don't know the answer.

I just took a test strip and put it in my new tank water. Is the water safe to put my betta fish in?
This is the aquarium:
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29137-Wa...+water+wonders

And here's a pic of the readings:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90638343@N06/

Thank you.

The tank has a filter and is heated to 80 degrees. Dechlorinated as well and has betta fish medication in it to get rid of all the bacteria he's has to endure in his horrid little cup.
Does everything look okay?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 
whiskandbowl

An ammonia reading would also be of help. I'm not seeing any nitrates, which you would normally want to see in a properly cycled tank.

The thing is though, is that tanks under 4-5 gallons are really hard to cycle, so for a 1.5 gal tank you are just better off doing waterchanges. There's a really good sticky outlining water changes on the forum
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

1.5 gallons is relatively small but will be okay if you keep up with water changes. Most people do not recommend filters in anything smaller than a 5 gallon and it's not needed if you're not going to cycle your tank, but the temperature is good. I don't use test strips but the PH is not a big deal as long as it's not a huge difference in the tank as in his cup. Ideally, it should read 0ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I can't really read it.

The tank should have plenty of hiding spots and tall plants as they like cover. Make sure he has east access to the water surface since it's a taller tank. And most importantly, water changes!! Your betta will thank you :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 
babystarz

Most people recommend liquid test kits over strips, because strips are more likely to be unreliable. But use them up before going with a liquid kit :P

Your readings look fine, although as someone else mentioned, the only one that matters very much for bettas is ammonia. They are very hardy in a variety of pH ranges and hardness.

Remember to slowly acclimate your fish :) The change from dirty pet store water to clean medicated water might be stressful for his body.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

Thank you guys very much for fast response. I gave the person my recommendation and i gave him the link for this post, so hopefully he will check this out.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #6 
babystarz

That was really nice of you :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote