Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #1 
Bsalem05

Tarracotta...

Is it safe to use a terracotta pot in a tank??
after cleaning of course..
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

While I personally have not, I believe some people do. Some even use silicone and put rocks or sand on them to make them look more natural. Just make sure that if there is a hole in the bottom that you block it. Many fish have died or been injured going through that hole.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

How did you clean it?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #4 
DragonFish

I use them. They make great cheap little caves. ;)
As far as cleaning goes all I do is rinse them well in hot water, I've never had any problems even with various sources(several different stores in several different areas).

Definitely want to block up the hole bottom somehow though. You can use some silicone to do that, knock out the whole bottom all together, or go the easy route like I do and just stuff the hole with some filter sponge. xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I have some. I soak them in hot water (so they soften a bit), and remove the the backs of the pots so there are no tiny spaces for the fish to get stuck in.

I've removed the backs using a hand drill, as well as with a screwdriver and hammer. I put the screwdriver near the existing hole and tap GENTLY with the hammer to chip away at the bottom and enlarge the opening. I keep doing this until the back is removed, and I have a hole large enough that there's no way the fish could EVER get stuck. Then I use sandpaper to smooth away any rough edges. Finally, I rinse off the pots really well to make sure there's no residue on them.

I've heard that some pots will change the pH of the water, but I didn't find that with the pots I used.

Disclaimer: I got my first betta in October, so it's not like I've been doing this a really long time. My guys like their terracotta pots, though. I also have short sections of 1" PVC pipe in their tanks (about 50 cents each at Lowe's). And I've started making little 'bridges' out of river rocks and aquarium-safe silicone. (Help! I'm addicted to bettas and their tank decorations! LOL)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you decide to just plug up the hole with silicone.... you can get a tube of aquarium-safe silicone at home improvement stores.

I got the Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant at Lowes for about $4.50. It's specifically marked "aquarium safe." The tube will last me a really long time, too.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #7 
Bsalem05

awesome, thanks!

I'm debating on doing some potted plants for one of my tanks.. (want to do a bare bottom) I wanted to use the pots for that. But now I think i'll want to do my own decor now too! lol been looking for something specific for a a while but now can't seem to find it.. so might as well make it! =)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #8 
mplsmommy

I tried terracotta pots in my sorority tank, but they were leaching color into my water. (This doesn't happen all the time though so don't let that discourage you!)
mplsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsalem05 View Post
awesome, thanks!

I'm debating on doing some potted plants for one of my tanks.. (want to do a bare bottom) I wanted to use the pots for that. But now I think i'll want to do my own decor now too! lol been looking for something specific for a a while but now can't seem to find it.. so might as well make it! =)
Ha! I was just reading a thread called "Potted plants for bare-bottom tank?" because I was thinking about the very same thing! Here's a link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....48#post1319548

I just started making decorations, and I'm having fun. LOL I picked up river rocks at a dollar store, and have been using them to make bridges and caves. It's cool because I can use all light rocks, or gray rocks, or dark rocks, or mix 'em up. And I can make them a good height for my fish.... I test the rocks with vinegar first. (If it bubbles, don't use them.) Then I soak them in really hot water, clean and dry them. I stack the rocks until I'm happy with how it looks, then use a dab of the aquarium-safe silicone to build the decoration.

I'm thinking about making a rock condo high-rise building next. (Yes, I'm kidding. Sort of. Although, I could just see my fish hanging out on the various levels. LOL)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #10 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Ha! I was just reading a thread called "Potted plants for bare-bottom tank?" because I was thinking about the very same thing! Here's a link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....48#post1319548

I just started making decorations, and I'm having fun. LOL I picked up river rocks at a dollar store, and have been using them to make bridges and caves. It's cool because I can use all light rocks, or gray rocks, or dark rocks, or mix 'em up. And I can make them a good height for my fish.... I test the rocks with vinegar first. (If it bubbles, don't use them.) Then I soak them in really hot water, clean and dry them. I stack the rocks until I'm happy with how it looks, then use a dab of the aquarium-safe silicone to build the decoration.

I'm thinking about making a rock condo high-rise building next. (Yes, I'm kidding. Sort of. Although, I could just see my fish hanging out on the various levels. LOL)
I want to do some sort of back wall ornament..(maybe I can integrate a cave) i gotta go to home depot sometime soon and check out what natural rocks they have..