Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #1 
Mouce

Question Question on Fish Home

I purchased and placed this ( http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4316567 ) reptile home in my tank, which i'm now prepping and stabilizing for my betta. It's made of a resin and has no sharp or rough edges and has an entrance that is large enough for it to swim through.

My question is: since it's made out of resin if it's going to have any ill effects on water quality or my fish's health? I'm probably being over paranoid here, but this is my first tank so I don't want to make any obvious mistakes and harm my soon-to-be pet.

The rest of my tank setup is an Eclipse 5 gallon hex, filter/carbon insert with a bio-wheel, and i've obtained and placed a java fern in tank, with the rhizome and roots above the gravel, but anchored by a standoff that it was attached to in the store. I'm using gravel/rocks as my substrate.
Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

. If i'm not mistaken most aquarium deco's are made out of resin, i have one that had a piece broken off when i bought it & its had no ill effects on my tank. But i don't know if reptile decos are treated differently. I like that cave. Have you read about cycling a tank? Have you bought a liquid water test kit? Do you have an adjustable heater? A Betta will love a 5g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #3 
KevinPham123

Cave should be fine, your Betta will be much happier.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 
Mouce

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I have a heater. It's a topfin 25 watt adjustable heater set at 78*F' and I've been using Tetra SafeStart to speed up the cycling process. The test kit I have is the API master test kit.
Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 
jeaninel

Be careful with decor marked for reptile use. Many of them are treated with a antimicrobial substance and shouldn't be used for fish. Sometimes they will be labeled that way although I didn't see any mention of that in the product description. With that said, yes, the majority of aquarium decor is made out of resin.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote