Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #11 
starrlamia

Fugeray and marine land double bright are the two I see recommended, there is another brand but I don't remember
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #12 
Phaydra

http://www.amazon.com/AL-12WM-FugeRa..._petsupplies_4

http://www.amazon.com/AL-16WM-FugeRa...ugeRay+Unibody

That the 12" and 16"
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thank you.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #14 
Kytkattin

Ecoxotic stunner strips are also amazing for plant growth, but super pricey. Worth it, imo, the plants grow great, but again, gonna cost you an arm and a leg!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #15 
Phaydra

You are welcome. I hope you will like the shimmer effect LEDs give an aquarium while still giving the plants enough lighting.

Last edited by Phaydra; 12-01-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #16 
kfryman

Phaydra thank you for linking it! It shows that more people are finding the Finnex fixtures which are really good! And thanks Starrlamia for trying to stop the watts per gallon rule. Truth is it doesn't work unless everyone uses the same fixture same height from the substrate and same bulbs. Please stop saying "3 watts per gallon is ___ amount of light." A 15 watt T5 is like 3x more powerful than a 15 watt T8, so how does 3 watts of T5 equal the same amount as T8?

For the Finnex fixtures there are two different ones. There is the fugeray and the Ray 2, the Ray 2 is more powerful, but use this PAR chart to find the one that you need. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944

Also reference the chart Starrlamia posted for fluorescent bulbs.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #17 
Phaydra

I think it was one of your post I found the fixture name in. I was to the point of trying to make my own LED lights for my planted tanks . Once I saw the price on these it was as cheap to buy as to make and less chance I would electrocute my fish. I should be thanking you.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #18 
kfryman

Also I hope you know that high light plants are genially hard to get without a good setup. CO2 is usually a must as well. A good setup for high light plants will cost you lots of money. Upgrading the light is only one part, you still have to back the light up with ferts and CO2 (Not Excel or API either). The minimum for an alright setup will cost you about $120 for a paintball setup, but that means you need a local place to fill your tanks.

Research more about high light tanks and see if they are for you. Search the plantedtank forums. High light doesn't equal success either.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #19 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
I think it was one of your post I found the fixture name in. I was to the point of trying to make my own LED lights for my planted tanks . Once I saw the price on these it was as cheap to buy as to make and less chance I would electrocute my fish. I should be thanking you.
Oh haha. I will evantually be making my own LED fixture because I would need at least 2 24" Ray 2s to have a shot at medium light for a tank I might be getting eventually in the future (I gotta see where I will be going to college and all that) but that is at least $200, making my own will be like the same price or less, and I can adjust it to my needs. I am also having someone in SFBAAPS make me a dual stage regulator, which if I bought one from a company would cost me way over $200 for like $100.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #20 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Oh haha. I will evantually be making my own LED fixture because I would need at least 2 24" Ray 2s to have a shot at medium light for a tank I might be getting eventually in the future (I gotta see where I will be going to college and all that) but that is at least $200, making my own will be like the same price or less, and I can adjust it to my needs. I am also having someone in SFBAAPS make me a dual stage regulator, which if I bought one from a company would cost me way over $200 for like $100.

I may bug you later about LEDs on my 40g. I was thinking a 24" for it but not sure I will get the light amount correct. Most of my plants will be low light though except my floating plants with are a little less concern considering they will be much closer to the light source.