Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Question Ideal Appearance?

So I got my new betta on Tuesday and on Thursday night I noticed that he looked a little bloated (maybe) so I fasted him on friday. The bloat looks so subtle that you can hardly tell it's there. I tried getting a picture of what I was seeing without success.

Then, today, I noticed what I think (or hope) is poo on the bottom of the tank. I had to work yesterday and all weekend so I won't have much time to watch him to see if he poos to make sure. It looks like a freeze-dried bloodworm, and I haven't fed him any.

So am I looking at this totally backwards? Instead of being bloated, do you guys think he's too skinny? He's still pretty small in size. Also, one of his pelvic fins is shorter than the other and curled, but it's been that way so I don't think I need to worry..

Sorry for the picture, I was having a hard time getting one from the side.

Here's what I think is the poo, lol xD
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

He doesn't look bloated at all IMO & I'd say that is poo on the bottom of the tank. As for the fin I don't think there's anything you can do about it & I wouldn't worry if he's getting around fine. And he's a pretty boy.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I was wondering if he was maybe too skinny because the front half of his body is bigger than the back half, and that's kind of why he looked a little bloated. In the light, he's kind of 'rounded' around where his pectoral fins are at.

Here's an example I found on google. I know this betta is a lot skinnier, though. (sorry for all the edits)

It's hard to compare him to my other betta because my older one is bigger, but he looks more "built" than him. Maybe it's easier to tell what I'm talking about if you look at my avatar?

Haha, I could just be paranoid. Personally I think his shorter, curled pelvic fin is cute. It reminds me of Nemo, except for it's not his pectoral fins that are different in size xD

Edit: in my avatar you can also see that in his belly area he is a little lighter, so maybe that makes the 'rounded' appearance.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-01-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

You've only had him for a few days & most likely he will put on some weight with regular meals of good food. He'll probably also change color a little if not a lot. Just give him good clean conditioned & heated water, regular meals & he should be fine. Keep an eye on him as you are for any unusual behavior. His belly will have a slight bulge after eating but it shouldn't be dramatic. You'll get to know him so you'll know if anything is off. They will behave as if they are ALWAYS starving so be careful how much you feed.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 
dragon tamer

he looks skinny to me but all my bettas look like puffer fish, SCARED puffer fish ! LOL he looks fine for a young fish that has just gone through the nightmare of today's pet retail. there was a day when pet stores put effort into the animals and not just the merchandizing.
dragon tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you! I've never dealt with a skinny betta fish so there's so much confusion, ha. I want to get him to full health but I know I can't over feed him. I just got his heater in the mail today, so I'm in the process of getting him to the right temp, now. He already seems happier in his new tank.

I can't believe I found a betta like him around here.. I definitely had to snatch him up even though I didn't have all of the correct supplies, yet. I've honestly never even seen a picture of a betta online that looks like him.

Anyways, lol, thanks for your replies :)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

He is a beauty. It'll be interesting to see how he changes as he gets healthy. I probably would've snatched him up too.