Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #1 
Ross21

What can I put with my betta?

I have a five gallon tank with a heater, filter, and light and I'm wondering what is compatible with him. There is quite a bit of brown algae that grows along the side of the tank, and I'd really like something that will clean it, and is small. I was thinking about a snail, would it clean the sides and get along with him? I had ghost shrimp and they didn't really do anything except clean up, which was pretty cool. So is there anything that will get along with him, clean the tank up a little, and eat the leftover food? thanks.
Ross21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #2 
kfryman

For brown algae, or diatoms I would suggest a nerite snail as they are hard for bettas to kill because they have almost nothing sticking out for the bettas to grab.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #3 
Ross21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
For brown algae, or diatoms I would suggest a nerite snail as they are hard for bettas to kill because they have almost nothing sticking out for the bettas to grab.
Thanks a lot! I'm assuming the betta killed the shrimp, haha. I researched them a little, and have a couple questions. First of all, they will eat the leftover fish flakes, right? And second, do I really need limestone in my aquarium? I read that it was highly recommended.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

I use 2 amano shrimps with my "eat everything in sight" crowntail. My Amanos have helped me ALOT with my algae infestation. And their the size of my betta(minus his fins) so they don't really appeal to him. Snails and shrimps smaller than the amanos that I got interested him greatly and he would attempt to gobble them up.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #5 
Ross21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I use 2 amano shrimps with my "eat everything in sight" crowntail. My Amanos have helped me ALOT with my algae infestation. And their the size of my betta(minus his fins) so they don't really appeal to him. Snails and shrimps smaller than the amanos that I got interested him greatly and he would attempt to gobble them up.
I might try them out if they have them at my local pet store. I think I would rather have a nitrate snail however. If everything goes right, I might pick up a couple shrimp to go along with them too.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

I had been wanting a nitrate snail. But I found my wittle shrimpies and was a bit unsure about hem. But I love them, I enjoy watching them. It's funny when they find a piece of food and hold onto it while roaming around. I've seen snails hold onto food/roam around too.

How long do you keep your light source on? Algae thrives off of lighting and lots of it. If your snail(s) or shrimp(s) take to your algae, the good thing if you have a nice supply of food and shouldn't have to feed them often.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #7 
Ross21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I had been wanting a nitrate snail. But I found my wittle shrimpies and was a bit unsure about hem. But I love them, I enjoy watching them. It's funny when they find a piece of food and hold onto it while roaming around. I've seen snails hold onto food/roam around too.

How long do you keep your light source on? Algae thrives off of lighting and lots of it. If your snail(s) or shrimp(s) take to your algae, the good thing if you have a nice supply of food and shouldn't have to feed them often.
Uh, it depends. On weekdays usually from roughly 7:00 AM to 9:00 or 10:00 PM. Probably a bit too long. On weekends though, it's usually around 11:00 AM to midnight or so.