Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #1 
Shokist

I want to get a Beta in my tank but dont know if its a good idea.

I have a 20 gallon tank and am thinking of getting a beta in there. As of now, I have 6 neon's, 3 catfish, 2 angle fish, 1 algae eating shark, and 2 gray fish that I am not sure what they are (they came with gold fish when I was starting my tank and was unable to get them out). I keep the temp of the water in the mid 70s and my ph level is around 7.
Do you all think a Beta would do well in this tank? Or would it try and fight the fish that are in there now? Or would the fish that are in there now nip at its colors? Any advise would be great, thanks.
Shokist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO that is too many fish for a 20g tank. Are they all currently small? Tank size is determined by what the adult sized fish will need not what they need as a baby. But to answer your question directly, I wouldn't add a Betta because of the Angel fish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 
cbernhard11

Not with Angel fish or unknown gray fish especially with the size. Anything that can be considered competition to a betta is never a good idea. Competition being pretty fins, about the size of a betta ect. Even little guppies aren't a good idea cuz of their pretty fins. And personally I don't trust neons. As long as they are in a group of 6 I guess its fine but those little bastards did the number on my betta's fins. Took them straight back to the petstore and got a refund. Anywho it kinda sounds like too busy of a tank in general. When it comes to bettas they are the center of attention.
cbernhard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #4 
callistra

It would not be a good placement for several reasons. Also, your tank is overstocked.. 20 gallons is too small even for one angel fish, none the less two and 12 other fish..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote