Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #1 
scribbles

is my betta dead?

Hi all I'm new here and worried about my betta.

It started on Saturday I noticed him batting around then floating at the top. So I changed his water and put stress coat in it. And he still moves a little and looks like he is breathing but is just floating at the top. He will swim very little untill today alittle more, like he's getting better?? I have a heater, its a 2 gallon tank, no fish tank buddies and I got him in april.

Thanks.
scribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Is he having trouble swimming, does he try to swim down but can't seem to do it & just bobs back to the top?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 
scribbles

Yes. He was doing that earlier this week. But now he's just floating at the top and only moving when you touch him :( I think he's dead but if there's a chance I can save him I would. His colors are the same but I noticed his head turned a little darker, close to black.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you fasted him? Usually its the swim bladder & a couple to three days of fasting will usually solve it it. How much do you feed him? I wouldn't worry about the color change if he's going darker, they'll do that. Does he have anything close to the surface he can rest on? If not see if you can get something or move something around currently in his tank so that its close to the surface. If you don't see any improvement in a day or two then something else is going on. You can try Epsom salt bath or adding it to the tank, it works as a laxative so if it is swim bladder it should help. Have you seen his poo? Is it normal? What is your normal water change schedule? It's important for weekly or twice weekly changes in a tank that size.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #5 
nel3

would swimm bladder diagnosed fish still have their pectorals moving much? mine never had SBD but when my DTHM died his pectorals ceased moving, much like any other dead betta at a pet store.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #6 
scribbles

I guess I could get something for him to rest on... not sure what? I've actually never scene his poop. I fully switch out his water once a week. I put the salt in his tank yesterday and today. Now he moves some without me touching him. His head is facing down and the last part of his tail is at the top. Still floating but kinda trying to swim... if that makes sense. He's a male king betta I think... with the big long wide pretty tail. I have not feed him sense last sat. I usually feed him a couple times a day those little pellets.

Thanks for helping by the way!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #7 
nel3

My Delta tail beta had heavy fins himself. He had trouble swimming and often lay on his sides or tail base. This was in the first week I had him but he did correct that him self. He didn't appear bloated when he was laying sideways.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #8 
scribbles

He died but thanks for the help. Ill be researching more about bettas before getting another one.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

So sorry to hear that.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #10 
Hershey

I had the same thing with Masami. Sorry for your loss.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote