Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 
Cherrehbeareh

Swim Bladder Problems

Okay, so my poor fish I'm sure is having issues with his swim bladder, I just have no clue how to try and help him. He just sits at the bottom and doesn't move unless I get his attention, and then he comes up to the top but floats back down rather quickly. He ends up on his side on the bottom most of the time.

Any advice that you can give me at all would be very much appreciated, I just feel rather helpless watching him like this.

Housing

What size is your tank?: Small, probably one gallon
What temperature is your tank?: No clue
Does your tank have a filter?: Nope
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: No
Is your tank heated?: No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: No other fish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Pellets, "New Life Spectrum Betta formula."
How often do you feed your betta fish?: Once a day, but I have fasted him for the past three, and given him a pea yesterday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?: Every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: A 'biological filtration booster' and something to speed up the production of his stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: He's started sinking to the bottom and not moving unless I catch his attention and then she swims up for a moment, but falls back to the bottom.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: Not responsive as much, lies at the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: I have fasted him for three days, and then yesterday I gave him a frozen pea, but no change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: He did have some issue where his one eye blew up into a giant bubble, but that's been about a year, and it cleared up on its own.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Two and a half years old.
Cherrehbeareh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 
latriana465

Is you betta bloated? Why do you think he has swim bladder? I'm just wondering because his tank isn't heated and there needs to be more water changes than once every 2 weeks for a 1 gal. This might be a factor for him feeling sick.
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote