Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes it is PH swing lack of nutrients. Live plants would work with Ammonia elimination. You should get Marimo.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

They already have live plants..
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Then read my filter plant thread.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #14 
Theadomm

I did condition the bottled water and added nutrafin cycle start which puts a lot of the good stuff into the water.

Well I have 3 choices as far as water is concerned 1- poison my fish with tap water with 0.75 to 1mg Ammonia 2- use bottled water an add conditioners and nutrients back into it or 3- do rain dances and catch what rain I can off my 1m wide balcony and then end up with industrial pollution in Nemesis' tank.

I did buy a new water conditioner that binds chloramine as well instead of just chlorine. I figure chloramine must be the culprit as I live in a built up area where our water is taken from the umgeni river just below where another built up area Peitermaritzburg has its waste water treatment plant outflow. I am going to experiment with the water conditioner and my now empty 5l bottles and see if I can get it down to 0 without involving any live fishies.

PS aquarium salt is sea salt click this link http://www.petco.com/product/1697/AP...rium-Salt.aspx.

"
API Aquarium Salt

Internet Price: $3.99 - $7.99 Today's Price: $2.79 - $5.59 (Save up to 30%)

Shop All Products By API
  • All natural salt, made from evaporated sea water, promotes healthy gill function, reduces stress and loss of electrolytes
  • Used to improve the efficiency of medications and reduce the harmful effects of nitrite"
I was lucky to find the same stuff evaporated 100% natural sea salt
Theadomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They make Ammonia neutrilizer. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=117963
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #16 
Theadomm

Thanks for the link. I will let you guys know if anything works to get my tap water safe. Nemesis looks a lot happier though and is even exploring his tank more rather than flaring all the time and swimming in circles.

I am also moving my desk lamp over to the tank to help stimulate the plants a bit. How long should I leave the light on cause Nemesis doesn't like it very much. He is out of direct light but near a large glass sliding door so the tank gets lots of ambient light. The plants look happy they are growing quiet quickly and perked up alot since I brought them home.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Sea salt and aquarium salt are not the same thing. Sea salt is for saltwater fish. The API aquarium salt directly says freshwater fish. I believe the sea salt is more potent than aquarium salt.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=74431

Most people recommend leaving the light on for 8-12 hours today at fairly regular times. It imitates the day/night cycle they would have in the wild.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-02-2012 at 10:02 AM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #18 
Theadomm

bamboo sounds interesting - it grows quiet big though doesn't it? or would you swap it out for a small one if it out grew the tank.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theadomm View Post
Thanks for the link. I will let you guys know if anything works to get my tap water safe. Nemesis looks a lot happier though and is even exploring his tank more rather than flaring all the time and swimming in circles.

I am also moving my desk lamp over to the tank to help stimulate the plants a bit. How long should I leave the light on cause Nemesis doesn't like it very much. He is out of direct light but near a large glass sliding door so the tank gets lots of ambient light. The plants look happy they are growing quiet quickly and perked up alot since I brought them home.
Your Welcome. I remember a product that stimulates Nitritifying and Nitrateifying bacteria. http://www.petco.com/product/112092/...Bio-Stone.aspx

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 12-02-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #20 
Theadomm

Red face I finally got a good picture of his colours

Yay it took a desk lap and some luck but I can finally show off what his colours really look like
Attached Images