Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #1 
psyduck

Will a betta take advantage of a 10 gallon tank?

This will be the largest tank I've ever had for one of the few bettas I've had over the years, and someone told me a single male betta will bore me in such a big tank because he's lazy. It's been awhile since I've owned a betta, but I don't really remember them being lazy, but even if they weren't then I'm not sure how they'll react to a bigger space. I know it's better for them, but part of the allure of having fish are watching them swim about. I don't want to have one little fish moseying on about his business with no action or vibrancy which will make this tank very dull with just him by himself.
psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #2 
Myates

It depends on the personality of the fish, his age, what decorations/plants you have in there, the temp..

Males aren't always as active as females - more work with the longer fins to swim about. But the younger the betta the more active he will be - and if he has a fair amount of decorations the more mental stimulation he will have. Even a 2-3 year old betta should still be quite active.

With a healthy betta in a warm tank with good food and things to look at/explore he should be plenty active in there. But a couple tank mates wouldn't be a bad thing if you went that way.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #3 
Xeek

A betta will explore a tank of any size. They love to explore due to their natural curiosity regardless of personality. A male betta will be less bored in a larger tank, considering you stock it with ornaments and plants suitable for him. Some tank mates may also help him. Some ghost shrimp would give him a bit of entertainment and they're cheap in case he kills them.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 
DanielaMarie

I have my boy in a 10 gallon with decor and many plants. He loves swimming through the Anacharis I have floating in the tank in addition to exploring every inch. It's so much fun to watch.
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

It completely depends on the fish. I have 3 males in 3 different 10g tanks & a male in a 5.5, 3 of my 4 males are almost constantly moving while my CT is less active. IMO a 10g really gives a fully grown Betta room to swim, they can get up some speed. To me the tank is not empty as some people would have you believe. And there a few things you can add if you want more in the tank. I will be adding a Mystery Snail to my 2 tanks that don't currently have one just because I like them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 
psyduck

Again, thanks a lot everyone. I'm glad to hear that there is a very good chance my water won't be so devoid of movement.
psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep my Betta in a 10 gallon. There is a small section of my tank Carter does not enter. But Carter explores and reacts to me.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #8 
Leopardfire

My betta is also in a 10 gallon and he uses all of it. It's fun to watch him swim all around since he's pretty active.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It depends on the personality of the fish, his age, what decorations/plants you have in there, the temp..

Males aren't always as active as females - more work with the longer fins to swim about. But the younger the betta the more active he will be - and if he has a fair amount of decorations the more mental stimulation he will have. Even a 2-3 year old betta should still be quite active.

With a healthy betta in a warm tank with good food and things to look at/explore he should be plenty active in there. But a couple tank mates wouldn't be a bad thing if you went that way.
Carter is 2.5 years old and is very active.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

If you have alot of plants/decor - he will probably be a bit more active then in a tank with just one tiny plant and a cave. However you can also add in some other fish to a 10G - corys are a popular choice but they need a group of 6? to feel secure. Snails are pretty neat too and shrimp but they may become snacks. Personally, I like snails myself but some are hermaphroites and will reproduce rather quickly. Others need a male and female and will lay a clutch of eggs while others will give birth to one live snail per day for several days. They poop alot though so a gravel vacume is a must if you dont already have one. They are pretty cheap - about $10 or so?

If I was doing 1 betta in a 10G, I would have 1 section of it with alot of silk or real plants - like a forest and have the other side more open with his house/cave/ect.

I have my 10G's divided 3 ways -so 3 males per tank

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote